Pump Configuration/ Valve adjustment for draining pool… Help!

Nov 23, 2015
Galveston, TX
My boyfriend is gone for work 6 months out of the year, so taking care of the big house projects often falls into my hands. I have taken it upon myself to drain, clean and refill our pool while my boyfriend is away (don't worry, he knows I'm doing this). I learn quickly, but I am no engineer, so be patient with me.

I put the main valve on waste and began draining the pool. After a while I noticed that the hot tub had drained almost to the bottom while the pool was still very full (naturally). I played around with the valves and was able to waste solely from the pool. I have read a few posts and forums online about pool draining and most of them refer to draining from the main drain vs. the skimmer. Well, the water is dangerously close to the edge of the skimmer so I have the pump turned off until I am certain of what I am doing. I do not want to damage the pump by allowing too much air suction from the skimmer. The problem is, I don't know which valve controls the main drain/skimmer suction. They are only labeled "spa" and "pool". I figured I would just post a picture and have someone tell me exactly what each valve does and where they need to be set so that I am draining from the main drain of the pool only. I have had several people tell me that this set up is not as common, but I'd like to get another set of eyes on it. Any other advice on fully draining a pool is also welcomed. I apologize if I am not thorough enough. Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you!

Audra

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32
Hi, welcome to TFP! I don't see a valve labeled main drain, so you may not be able to isolate the main drain from the skimmer. It is rare that we recommend draining a pool, as this can be harmful depending on the construction of the pool and the height of the water table where the pool is located.

if you could tell us more detail about your pool (plaster, fiberglass, or vinyl surface) and why you want to drain it we can give you information that is better suited to your situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.