What is a plaster pool?

Dippa

Oct 31, 2015
Melbourne , Australia
Hi I have a question to clarify what you define as a plaster inground pool. Just checking the translation between USA and Australia.
I have a concrete inground pool that is fully tiled with glass tiles. Is this a plaster pool?
I ask as I would like to determine what my TA and CH should be.
Thanks

Well I would still call that a "plaster" or "cement" pool (unlike a fiberglass or vinyl pool) because you have to take into consideration when maintaining your water to balance the chemistry levels so that they don't degrade or damage the cement, tile and grout. For example the calcium in the water is important so as to not leech out the calcium from the pool into the water although calcium is not important to vinyl pools and is debated about with fiberglass pools.

Just to expand on YippeeSkippy's explanation, a vinyl pool is any pool with a vinyl liner whether in or above ground, regardless of how the shell is constructed. A fiberglass pool is usually a one piece pool shell constructed entirely of fiberglass, but can also be a wood or concrete pool lined with fiberglass. Plaster pools have plaster, pebble, or tile finishes and have particular calcium level requirements to maintain the pool.

I would only classify a plaster pool as one which has a plaster product (i.e. calcite) over gunite or concrete. A pool that is concrete with ONLY tiles applied to it, I would call a tile pool.

Tile pools are so unusual in the USA - primarily because of the cost. So most forums do not have that classification. My guess will be to follow the requirements of the gunite / concrete pools since tiles use cement grout.
Dippa, please post a pic of your tile pool...thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.