Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is a plaster pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is a plaster pool?

Hi I have a question to clarify what you define as a plaster inground pool. Just checking the translation between USA and Australia.
    I have a concrete inground pool that is fully tiled with glass tiles. Is this a plaster pool?
    I ask as I would like to determine what my TA and CH should be.
    Thanks
    55k Lt IG Concrete Fully Tiled,1-HP Waterco multispeed pump, Waterco s602 Eco glass filter, Chemigem D10 controller with auto pH feeder and SWG Sterisel (SaltigemSG30) self cleaning, Maytronic Dolphin SupremeM4, Solar Heating.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is a plaster pool?

Well I would still call that a "plaster" or "cement" pool (unlike a fiberglass or vinyl pool) because you have to take into consideration when maintaining your water to balance the chemistry levels so that they don't degrade or damage the cement, tile and grout. For example the calcium in the water is important so as to not leech out the calcium from the pool into the water although calcium is not important to vinyl pools and is debated about with fiberglass pools.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Yippeeskippy for the clarification

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to expand on YippeeSkippy's explanation, a vinyl pool is any pool with a vinyl liner whether in or above ground, regardless of how the shell is constructed. A fiberglass pool is usually a one piece pool shell constructed entirely of fiberglass, but can also be a wood or concrete pool lined with fiberglass. Plaster pools have plaster, pebble, or tile finishes and have particular calcium level requirements to maintain the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would only classify a plaster pool as one which has a plaster product (i.e. calcite) over gunite or concrete. A pool that is concrete with ONLY tiles applied to it, I would call a tile pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Tile pools are so unusual in the USA - primarily because of the cost. So most forums do not have that classification. My guess will be to follow the requirements of the gunite / concrete pools since tiles use cement grout.
    Dippa, please post a pic of your tile pool...thanks in advance.

Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016