Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light usage

We have two Jandy LED pool lights... Is there any issue running the lights each night for a few hours... Besides electricity? I like to see the pool with the lights on.... It's a new pool so guess that might wear off with time.

17,500 IG, 18'x34' Free Form, 4'-6' depth, beach entry, 3 bubblers and 13' weeping wall. Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Jandy 2HP Flo Pro VS, Jandy 1.5HP Booster, Polaris 280, 2 Skimmers, 6 Returns, 2 LED Lights, WetEdge Satin Antiqua, Wood Firepit. Construction Started July 29th 2015. Fill date October 21st 2015. TF-100 kit. Stenner 85MP2 with 15gal tank.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light usage

I used to have mine programmed to go on each night for an hour or so (I stopped that for some reason....don't remember why). Sadly I only have a single 500W halogen in my pool so it costs (minimal) money to run and has only a finite lifetime. LEDs are dirt cheap to run even with high utility rates and will probably outlast the pool (kidding). So if you like to see your pool at night, I say go for it!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I have mine set on a timer to come on at dark and go off at midnight every night.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Our pool light attracts a lot of insects, so we leave it off unless we're using the pool.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
    Our pool light attracts a lot of insects, so we leave it off unless we're using the pool.
    Probably the biggest potential minus.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

LEDs tend to attract less insects than incandescent (just a guess but I think it must be something about the wavelength bugs don't see it as well as a normal light). The component on an LED that fails most often is the driver/transformer they are easy to replace, not that expensive and usually last for thousands of hours so I say fire it up.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!