Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello

Hi Guys wanted to si hi and say im soon to be a new pool owner but have some questions. the PB gave me 2 options as far as cleaning either the Del Ozone Eclipse System or the Pentair Intellichlor SWG The pool is going to be IG outdoors 15'x30'. Ive noticed alot of you guys saying the SWG is much better choice just want to confirm. also had a question on the filter which he listed as the Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter also from Pentair should i be asking for a sand filter instead?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello

Welcome to TFP!

You gave a softball first question - SWG without a doubt.

What size filter is he talking about? Generally you want a larger filter and a smaller pump than you think you do.

I love my sand filter, but it is all I have ever had. Look to others for objective advice as far as this goes.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ccp 320
    In Ground 15'x30'
    Pentair VS pump
    Pentair CCP320
    Pentair intellichlor SWG
    Pentair Master Temp Heater 400,000 btu

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Clearly, get the SWG. Don't even consider the ozone...it doesn't work.

For that pool, probably a 1 hp pump and that filter should be fine. Read about filters in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with Tim and Dave, go with the SWG.
    I have a C&C plus filter as well. The 320 will be plenty large enough for that size pool, and they are easy to clean when the time comes.

Since you are in CA, and with the water shortage you have, you will do well with the cartridge filter. The cartrige filter doesnt require backwashing, while a sand filter and DE filter do, and thats just water down the drain so to speak.

Also since you are in CA and the electric rates are very high, you might consider a variable speed pump. It cost more up front, but a VS pump is extremely energy efficient and with your electric rates, will likely pay for itself in energy savings in a couple or 3 years. If a VS pump option doesnt fit your budget, then at the very least, elect to have a 2 speed pump installed.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

Get a SWG and be done with it.

There's nothing wrong with a cartridge filter.... but.... sand filters are easiest to clean, and I expect you will get a lot of windblown dust in your pool where you live. Also, you will no doubt suffer from Calcium buildup over time, and backwashing a filter allows you to replace some saturated water with lower CH water periodically.

You will need to exchange some water periodically, at least after the first year. Plan for it. Have the PB put a T with a hose bib in the outlet pipe from the pump. Then if you need to lose some water you just connect a garden hose.

No matter what else, make sure there's a skimmer at the extreme downwind end of the pool, even if it means a super-long pipe run. Otherwise all the surface trash will get blown right past the skimmer, collect at the downwind end, get waterlogged, sink, and then you'll need to vacuum it. I know there's some strong winds out there in Rialto. Just figure out the angle they blow the most in the summer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the useful information guys. A variable speed pump is included in the deal. The winds are very strong so i will make sure the skimmer is installed in the right spot
    In Ground 15'x30'
    Pentair VS pump
    Pentair CCP320
    Pentair intellichlor SWG
    Pentair Master Temp Heater 400,000 btu