24 Hour Test Results

Oct 19, 2015
Burleson, Texas
The pool has been up and running for exactly 24 hours. The builder put in some tabs, acid, and some sort of shock. There is no salt in the pool yet. Here's what I just tested:

FC: 9
CL: >5
PH: >8.2
CH: 375
TA: 140
CYA: 35
CC: .5

Advice please...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on get your pH down.......and keep it down....around 7.5.

No more tabs. You can make a final adjustment to CYA later.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll help you understand why you are doing these adjustments.

PB stated not to worry about the chemicals until after they come and do pool school which will be sometime after Thanksgiving. Should I just let it ride or should I get some acid in the pool and start lowering the PH and TA? He also turns on the bubbler every time he stops by but I thought that would raise the PH so I turn it off....

Get your pH under control, despite what your builder says. Don't worry about TA. Harsh comment follows......You have a good test kit so use it and understand what the results mean......I don't think your builder does.

Did you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? It will tell you that high pH is not a good thing.....ever.

Get your pH under control, despite what your builder says. Don't worry about TA. Harsh comment follows......You have a good test kit so use it and understand what the results mean......I don't think your builder does.

Did you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? It will tell you that high pH is not a good thing.....ever.

I have read everything and that is what is bothering me. I don't want to do anything to void any warranties since they are still working with a spot on my plaster. I'll head out in a few and get some MA and get it in the pool this afternoon.

I would lower the PH, I assume they won't be back till Monday and you don't have to admit you added anything. Also and make sure you don't have any return eyeballs pointing across any benches or shelves or you run the risk of V shaped plaster marks (ask me how I know :mad:) If you do have a return above a shelf point it slightly up it may lower TA a bit but that will be minor compared to marking the plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would lower the PH, I assume they won't be back till Monday and you don't have to admit you added anything. Also and make sure you don't have any return eyeballs pointing across any benches or shelves or you run the risk of V shaped plaster marks (ask me how I know :mad:) If you do have a return above a shelf point it slightly up it may lower TA a bit but that will be minor compared to marking the plaster.

I did notice that the returns are pointed up towards the water and I could stand to lower the TA. Last test was 140.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't tell the PB that your adding chemicals and keep a log of the test results.

I don't plan on telling them and I'm using the Jesse's Graphical Testing Log from the site to keep track of tests. It says I only need to add 3 cups of MA to bring the PH down but I will need to add and re measure because it was above 8.2.

Well, let us know your results as soon as you test. Many people with new plaster have sneaked in MA while the PB was away.... You like your PB, I get that as I like mine, but they don't often understand the foundations of proper pool chemistry. Chemistry is different than construction. Keep us in the loop!

Looks good, I would check it again about the same time tomorrow don't be surprised if goes up to 7.4. You might make it to next week without having to add any MA but my guess is by Saturday afternoon it will be nearing 7.8 My pool is 3 weeks old 13K gallons PH raises .1 to .2 per day FC loss has been less than .5 per day, I have been adding 10oz of 31% a day to keep it near 7.4. All that being said since it looks as if they have it dialed in if you want to let the PB handle it till they officially hand it over I think you will be fine, even if you go out of range a bit I doubt it would be long enough to cause any problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.