Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: winter pool cover and snow on top

1. Back To Top    #1

Question winter pool cover and snow on top

We have had our pool for a year. (in ground, vinyl) Last year we had the pool closed with the previous owners tarp. It was ripped and a huge mess The sand bags leaked and ugg! After discussion with the "pool guy" we purchased a mesh safety cover, which he installed. We just a had about 6 inches of heavy wet snow(WI) and the cover is bowed down, touching the water in the middle. There is no snow there. It doesn't seem right. Do I need to shovel snow from the sides? Could this pull the anchors from the ground?
    Thanks for any help you can give me

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: winter pool cover and snow on top

Hi lcswim,

Are your anchors in concrete or staked to the ground or deck?

The reason I ask is, We have had a meyco mesh cover for 17 years (replaced it last year) and ours is anchored into the concrete deck. They say a small elephant can walk on it. He can but he will be tail deep in water if he does.

Although we don't get as much snow as you (sometimes I wonder though), the cover will sag and it will with stand the strain. With a little sunlight and the water below it will melt and all will be fine. The springs on the cover should pull it back up and be tight again.

If it was installed correctly that is. You may have to tighten the straps some more if the cover isn't snug. It should be hard to pull the straps over the anchors when installing.

Hope that helps, Si
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Lefty51! I am hopeful now that the sun will help. It is staked into concrete. I guess it just isn't what I expected to happen-- I got the "elephant can walk on it" line too!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Look at my build thread, in my signature, page 6, post 116. Perfectly normal. After it gets colder, the cover will get frozen to the water surface and stay down until it melts.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I guess I expected it to look flat like the pictures all winter! lol I am heading off to check your build thread....
    Yes, that is exactly how ours looks.
    Your pool area is beautiful-- summer and winter pics! Thank you for sharing.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

When properly installed the springs should be half loaded.