Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How late can you wait to winterize?

1. Back To Top    #1

Manalapan, New Jersey

How late can you wait to winterize?

We are buying a home, central new Jersey, and they have a good sized gunite chlorine pool. It is now Nov 21, temperatures at night dip down into the 30s, and they have not winterized and closed their pool yet. They said "soon." Should I be concerned? There has not been any significant freezing but how late is too late? Does it have to be consistently below freezing to have issues? Thanks

Sent from my VZW Note5
    23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: How late can you wait to winterize?

The biggest concern is not the pool (huge volume of water = long time to freeze) but the equipment like the pumps, skimmers and filters. If the pool pump has freeze protection (automatically turns on when the temp goes below 34F), then that can protect it for a good long while. I would have expected a Jersey pool to be closed by now simply because closing a pool is a labor-intensive and wet process. I would not be happy going out in 40F daytime temps trying to mess with pumps, hoses, air blowers, cold water, etc...You need to be worried once the weather starts forecasting extended freezing temperatures (night and day temps below freezing). When do you close on this deal? Perhaps you can make it a condition of closing that the pool be professionally closed on a specific date and offer to pay half the cost.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates