Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you operate the cleaner without a back up valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you operate the cleaner without a back up valve?

I usually don't have any areas where the cleaner (Kreepy Krauly Legend) gets tangled up or stuck, but I do have reason to think my back up valve may be having some problems. So, the question is can I remove the back up valve and operate the cleaner without it installed? Am I going to create problems or damage something else such as the pump or the cleaner itself?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you operate the cleaner without a back up valve?

5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

I run my Polaris without a backup valve and it works fine. It actually works better than it does with the valve in place... I can't see any way it could possibly damage the pump or cleaner....

My pool doesn't have any trouble spots, so I don't need to worry about it getting stuck. If I had a ladder or something, I would probably use the backup valve.

-Matt
    20k Gunite/Fiberglass
    Hayward SP2302VSP
    Pentair LA-MS05 BoostRite
    Pentair Quad D.E. 100 sq ft

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I run my Polaris without a backup valve and it works fine. It actually works better than it does with the valve in place... I can't see any way it could possibly damage the pump or cleaner....

My pool doesn't have any trouble spots, so I don't need to worry about it getting stuck. If I had a ladder or something, I would probably use the backup valve.

-Matt
    I just had my backup valve punk out on me. It is stuck in the reverse cycle and never diverts water to the cleaner itself anymore. I was thinking of running the cleaner without the valve while I waited for the replacement to be delivered.

Did you just use a regular swivel to couple the two hose ends that normally couple with the valve?

Even better - is there a way to jury-rig the existing (broken) backup valve so it is always diverting to the cleaner and never cycles into reverse mode? That way, I don't have to pay $20 for a swivel that I will use only for five days.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by squirk View Post
    I just had my backup valve punk out on me. It is stuck in the reverse cycle and never diverts water to the cleaner itself anymore. I was thinking of running the cleaner without the valve while I waited for the replacement to be delivered.

Did you just use a regular swivel to couple the two hose ends that normally couple with the valve?

Even better - is there a way to jury-rig the existing (broken) backup valve so it is always diverting to the cleaner and never cycles into reverse mode? That way, I don't have to pay $20 for a swivel that I will use only for five days.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

I just used a small piece of hard plastic hose to join the 2 sections. I no longer had a swivel... I ran it that way for about 6 months before I bought a new Polaris and replaced the old hose.
    20k Gunite/Fiberglass
    Hayward SP2302VSP
    Pentair LA-MS05 BoostRite
    Pentair Quad D.E. 100 sq ft