Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair SunTouch Setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pentair SunTouch Setup

I am a newbie at this so...

I have a newly completed pool with a Pentair SunTouch controller. I have a completely separate filtration pump and system, not connected to or used for my solar heating setup. The solar panel heating system has it's own dedicated pump.

I understand that the SunTouch will activate the actuator(s) for the solar heating based on temperature settings I determine. Can it also directly control the pump on/off cycle for the solar heating based on the same schedule? Any additional hardware need or can the solar heating pump connect directly to the SunTouch "Pool" or "aux"?

Thanks
    Bean shaped in ground pool
    9'6" at widest point, 16'7" in length and uniformly 5' deep
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Solar Panels, Separate "cleaning" and solar pumps
    Newbie Big Time

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair SunTouch Setup

Are you asking to run filter system at the same time as the heating system?

A picture of your pad showing the whole pad would be great.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Question Re: Pentair SunTouch Setup

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Are you asking to run filter system at the same time as the heating system?

A picture of your pad showing the whole pad would be great.
    The filter/circulation/salt system is independent from the SunTouch system, including having it's own dedicated pump. Only the solar heating system is tied to the SunTouch.

I want the SunTouch system to activate the solar valve system (which it is doing now) and control the the separate pump that the solar heating system uses, which is now running off a separate timer. Do I need an additional relay? How would this be set up?

Thanks
    Bean shaped in ground pool
    9'6" at widest point, 16'7" in length and uniformly 5' deep
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Solar Panels, Separate "cleaning" and solar pumps
    Newbie Big Time

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think that the Suntouch will turn the pump on, only open the valve and adjust the speed if it is a variable speed pump. Our Solartouch will change my variable speed pump from speed 1 (1100rpm) to speed 2 (1950rpm) when solar heat is available.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I have my pump hooked up to the Aux 1 relay and the solar valve hooked up normal and it turns on when the solar temp is above my set temperature. I can also run it manually any time I need by pressing the Aux button. The menu system is confusing to say the least and the manual is worse.

10k Gallon, IG Kafko Vinyl Liner (8/1/12), 200# Sand w/ 1 hp Hayward MaxFlo pump, Taylor K2006
    3 4x12 Heliocol East facing + 3 4x12 Heliocol West facing 2015
    Robert from Sunny Southern Oregon