Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA level keeps going up

1. Back To Top    #1

League City, TX

CYA level keeps going up

The CYA level in my pool this summer and fall has been high (90-100). I've drained water out and knocked the CYA down but it immediately starts going up again. Did not have this problem last year (in second year of owning house with pool.) The only thing I changed from last year is I'm using chlorine tablets from Sams instead of Costco. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Thx
    Pool Volume: 15000 gal
    League City, Tx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA level keeps going up

Welcome to TFP!

Sure, and it's easy. Chlorine Tabs add Cya. Six PPM Cya for every Ten PPM of Free Chlorine that you derive from the typical tablet. As long as you use these as a source of Free Chlorine, you'll be adding Cya to your pool.

Take a moment to check out Pool School, and begin with the ABCs of pool chemistry. From there, read on, and you'll find the things you need to get solid control of your pool. Knowledge is the most important tool in your box, and pool care really becomes easy once you stack some up. Ask all the questions you need too, and read around on the forum. Enjoy your stay here.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Yep. CYA is going up because you're adding it. Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Just so you know... Every 8 oz puck you put in the pool adds 3.7 FC, 2.2 CYA, and lowers pH .2
    A 25# bucket of pucks will raise CYA 111 in your 15000 gallon pool. Have you been also having trouble with constantly falling pH and/or low TA?

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is another article you need to read.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

All Trichlor tabs will increase CYA as indicated. If you saw a difference between last year and this year, then perhaps you used more chlorine this year so increased CYA faster or had less dilution of water this year which have CYA rise faster (i.e. not get diluted down as quickly).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"