What's The Most Helpful Advice You've Gotten From TFP?

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
If you could name a couple of Items that were the biggest help you've found here, what would they be? Jot down one or two, perhaps another if it comes to you later.

For me it's pretty easy, but it wasn't Chemistry so much as it was with Equipment. When we built, we were going with a pressure cleaner until Duraleigh encouraged me to look hard at substituting a top of the line Robot instead. Even having been here a while, I hadn't dug too deeply into this subject and I honestly wasn't sure how they could be so great. The more I looked into it, the more I got interested and warmed up to the idea, especially considering the elimination of an additional pump from the equation. This is what we did, and simply traded the cost of the PC system for the robot, which turned out to be within $50 of the original plan. No Brainer on a Pool Build....
:study:

As it turns out, I still think this was the single biggest/best decision we made on the entire build. Not just for the build cost/decision but long term this has made things so much easier. With the dust and leaf debris we get, it's paid for itself already without a doubt. I don't want to even think about what a chore our pool would be without one. Had I built without coming to TFP, I might have a very different outlook on every day pool care.

Although smaller, another tip I picked up here is skimmer socks. Having seen what they do, I won't run without em' if I can help it at all.

So, what comes to mind for you having to name some things?

This should be a great thread!

The biggest help for me is pool math. Even though I know what the levels should be, without Pool Math, I would be in big trouble not knowing how much of something to add or not. Its an invaluable tool.

Next is the FC/CYA.

Next was the info available here on pumps. When I started thinking about building a pool, I was researching pumps. It was the pump search that landed me a TFP. Even though I dont need it, I love my intelliflo, and I learned a lot about the pros and cons of them here.

After that, different ways a pool can be plumbed. Through TFP, I decided that every return, skimmer etc, in my pool would all be plumbed individually back to the equipment pad with a valve on each of them. None of that loop pluming for me!

Gosh Patrick, I don't think I'm allowed enough space here to list them all. :rolleyes:

In no particular order, pool school (abc's, pool math, chemistry, the whole setup)

The people on here helping. The patience and teaching that goes on, all with a smile.

But the best would have to be Dave and his personal advice with how to help on here and with testing

Excluding all of the chemistry stuff, here some other items to mention, in no particular order

Using Solar Salt insteal of "Pool" Salt
Skimmer Angel
Substitute firehose for the crappy blue backwash hose - 5 gold stars for this one
Glycerin filled pressure gauge

I'm going to repeat the Skimmer Sock mention. Surrounded by trees (lots of pine) the spring pollen drop is monumental. Those skimmer socks get full of that yellow fluffy stuff and it saves my sand filter and water as I don't have to backflush it all out later.

Next best up is the testing kit! A good testing kit saves bundles of money in the end, y'know?

The testing kit is what brought me to TFP. I bought it before I bought the pool! LOL I had to make sure I COULD do the testing before I spent the money on the pool.

Not having a good test kit so relying on the pool store is what caused my first pool to fail :( I was NOT going through that again!

Kim

Without a doubt, Chem Geek's and JasonLion's contributions to the forum. I always finding great information in all the old threads that they have contributed to. I miss having Jason around as he always had a simple and right to the point answer it seems for everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome thread, Patrick! I plan to start copying these posts and paste to a word doc to keep in my pool binder.

I can't say if these are in order of importance to me - so many are of equal importance!

* Support during my pool build. Some people were/are key, and ya'll know who you are. I can't name names, because it was everyone's help and support that added up to my survival. Thanks a million!

* Test Kits and Speed Stir recommended by TFP - 'nuff said.

* Special help and guidance on water maintenance (and thanks for all the future help) I know these first two aren't really tips, but they were critical to me surviving building a pool. So going to TFP is my first tip to friends who are considering building a pool.

* Pool Math: wow, ingenious!!! I'd be bugging everyone to death on TFP without Pool Math.

* from Patrick: Rosie (my robot pool cleaner - Dolphin M500). She's one of my best friends!!!! She's also entertaining to watch while she does her work! I just wish I had a Rosie for inside the house....

* from Chiefwej for skimmer socks (I just ordered these): Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Office Products Even though I don't have dogs in the pool, I have tons of fine debris that just glides past the skimmer basket. I didn't know I had so much escaping the skimmer basket until I decided to try skimmer socks for the visit from my granddog. I was amazed at how well they worked. It doesn't hurt to try them and see if they help.

* from Pooldv: advice on selecting a pool finish for water color - He told me to go with Blue Granite PebbleTec, "I promise you won't hate it, and you might find you love it." He finally put a stop to my neurotic decision looping on plaster finishes. So, if you're going nuts, let TFP help decide. See, if it hadn't worked out, I could have blamed Pooldv! Hee hee!

* from Duraleigh: don't panic over CSI, just keep the chemical numbers in the TFP range, and all will work out.

* from someone on the thread 'Let's see your TestKits': the large syringe and tubing for drawing sample pool water to test. VvW Large Plastic 100ml Syringe +120cm (47in) handy plastic tubing: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

* ordering extra magnetic beans for my Speed Stir (a great tip by itself): I kept having to dig my bean from the disposal while rinsing. It's reassuring to know I have a backup, but more than that, it's handy.

* an extra CYA cylinder: I'm still iffy on this test, so now I can run it a second time with the leftovers in the shake bottle. It reassures me a little.

I know there's more..... When you're as green as I am about pool ownership, everything is valuable!

Suz.

1. Taylor test chemistry
2. SLAM process
3. Learning about CSI
4. Borates

All of those have helped my pool in a significant way. Learning about the CSI helped me in a major way by allowing me to focus my chemistry balance on one single number. IN doing so, I don't obsess over having a specific pH number or a specific TA number, I just take them all together and make sure I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of -0.1 and I'm happy. Even at a CH of nearly 800ppm, I don't worry about calcium scaling. Also, adding borates was a game-changer for me in terms of chemistry as I got a really big benefit from both the added pH control and the additional algaecidal properties.

LOL!
Check eBay. or go by your local firestation. those firehoses in the glass cases in schoolhouses, hotels, etc.. The Fire Code requires them to be changed out periodically and have never been used.

One step ahead of you - My neighbor is the fire chief of our district ( he lent me some out of services hoses and pump to drain pool, when I had liner replaced last summer. Had him on the phone just now.

Cut of one end, clamp it on and away I go. Thanks again. :lovetfp:

Really good suggestions and the main ones have been mentioned. But for me the realisation that high phosphate levels are irrelevant if you have adequate chlorine levels- and no more expensive phosphate removers.

That pool store testing is dodgy and that a good test kit is worth it weight in gold

To me the most "helpful" advice I received on TFP is that pool care can be simple and cheap. We had used Baquacil for over 15 years before finding TFP and the decision to convert to chlorine is what led me to find TFP. After some reading and a few questions I found myself in the middle of a conversion that members of TFP walked me through. After this conversion completed I was amazed just how simple caring for a pool can be once you learned a few simple basics. Teaching members basic pool care still to this day is my main enjoyment on the site and I look forward to seeing more members learn TFPC in the future.

There are so many, I can't remember them all since starting this 5 years ago. Some that do come to mind: the forum moderators know so much about pool care I have learned so much and will never ask pool store guy's advice, skimmer socks work so well I usually do not have to backwash during the summer, leaf rakes are not "rakes" but work great, how to SLAM algae blooms and make beautiful sparkly pool water, pool math for balancing chemicals, good test kit advice, etc.. ;o)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.