What's The Most Helpful Advice You've Gotten From TFP?

So there ya go.... Hairnets....never thought of that been using knee highs

Also pool school
FC/CYA relationship
Pool school
All the awesome threads I read over and over
Magic luge
Test kit
And the must have speed stir
And only going to pool store for toys!

Scoop:

Stories like yours going on cruise control are what keep me coming back to TFP. I LOVE seeing the lights come on for people.
:goodjob:

kcxlpk.jpg

This forum's the reason why it's cruising along :)

As a newby/novice the fact I dont have to visit and get ripped off by the pool shop anymore is a major bonus since dicovering TFP, and keeping my pool in balance is like a new hobby rather than a chore.

wapld5.jpg

I don't remember the last time I visited a local pool store to ask for advice on pool maintenance.

The idea that you can re-run the CYA test by pouring the mixture back into the mixture bottle and trying again. Seems so obvious, but it's one of those things that just didn't occur to me until pointed out to another member.

sbskzk.jpg

When I read that at the forum, it was another one of those
2e0qu1j.jpg
moments.

To the staff here and members that participate in the holiday,

v8li04.jpg

I took chiefwej's advice and bought the hairnets...LOVE them!!

+1 for hairnets in the skimmer basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Yeah, hairnets are my new fave advice and I haven't even tried them yet! Can't wait! In spring we get all this little tree stuff that goes right through the baskets but skimmer socks clog up too fast. Hairnets seem perfect.

Agreed on the skimmer basket nets.

I had initially used the skimmer socks sold on amazon and while they work great, they tend to disintegrate after 1 months use.

A forum member recommended home depot 1 gal paint strainer nets and I use those now.

a couple dollars for a pack of 3. I bought 2 packages but am still on the original first net and it's now 4 months old
with no sign of tearing.

It looks exactly like the hair net pictured.

Mas985 (Mark) has been very helpful with his hydraulics knowledge helping me with pump motor decisions
and solar stuff. And Chemgeek of course with highly detailed chemistry discussions.

When doing the CYA test the TF 100 view tube only requires 20ml for testing any level over 30 ppm. The test is 50/50 water to reagent. No need to mix the full amount in the mixing bottle. If you know it's over 30ppm, just measure and mix 10ml each, pool water and reagent, and you can use half as much reagent for each of your tests.

When doing the CYA test the TF 100 view tube only requires 20ml for testing any level over 30 ppm. The test is 50/50 water to reagent. No need to mix the full amount in the mixing bottle. If you know it's over 30ppm, just measure and mix 10ml each, pool water and reagent, and you can use half as much reagent for each of your tests.

following up on threads like this, :D

chief gets two atta boys from me. This and the trash hose suggestion. My fire chief had both hoses available and after looking at the trash hose, I went that route. It is a much tougher looking hose than the "crappy" blue one.

Much easier to handle than the fire hose. Will find out how it holds up next summer, but I believe it will work fine.

Keep passing on these nuggets, I'm getting smarter by the day :goodjob: :goodpost:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love this thread! There's quite a few bggets I will need to follow up on from here after my pool is completed.

So far, the incredible helpful friendly people on here who feel like old friends, giving guidance and advice on pool design and equipment choices. Invaluable!

So many things have been helpful! For me the most important advice would be: "don't get pool-stored".

Based on other advice to 'find a pool store you can trust", I tried 5 pool stores and chose one. Then I found TFP and learned the basics of TFPC. If I'd gone with the pool store system, it would be buffer - more acid - more buffer - more acid along with jugs of clarifier and phosphate remover. I also believe their low FC recommendations would have given me the nasty kind of green, leading to purchases of shock and algaecides.

Thanks TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.