Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dallas area pebble showrooms or pools to visit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas area pebble showrooms or pools to visit?

We are just finalizing our engineering plans for an owner build and we need to decide on the plaster/pebble type for the interior finish. On paper, we think we want to go with a mini pebble, but not having experienced anything other than plaster firsthand, I'm wondering if there are any showrooms in the Dallas area that actually have these built into a pool, out least underwater to walk on? I'm drawn towards the supposed longevity of pebble, but I don't want to make an expensive mistake if we think it's too rough in the end.

I have a couple plaster companies around here that I like that I will be getting quotes from, so I will ask if they have any pools I can visit, but I thought I would also ask here for suggestions.

Thanks for your help!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dallas area pebble showrooms or pools to visit?

Consider Quartz as a smoother alternative is something I always mention, but I imagine you'll find a display, or reference pool to go see first hand. It's even likely to get an invite from another TFP member. Plenty of nice TFP folks out in DFW for sure. I'd encourage you strongly to go see some different types if you can. Good luck on your build, and let us know how it gets sorted.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

We did wetedge satin matrix and love it. Worth the upgrade.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have quartzscape and its smoother then our old plaster pool. I had a neighbor come by and said my quartzscape was smoother then his new pebblesheen. He wasn't too happy about that because the builder told him that pebblesheen was the smoothest.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh and I'm in the Dallas area. You're welcome to come see it and feel it if you want.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

6. Back To Top    #6

Most of the pool builders we originally interviewed really promoted the quartz as a better option than pebble because of the roughness issue with pebble. I'm a little concerned about the mottling issues with quartz since the one we visited that was only a couple years old showed some streaking. I only felt it with my hand, but it was pretty smooth. So many people on here are happy with their pebble that I'm hopeful we would be too, but it still comes down to a personal preference. Seeing actual pools would probably help the most, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew of any showrooms in the Dallas area that at least had larger samples underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by amandahein3 View Post
    Oh and I'm in the Dallas area. You're welcome to come see it and feel it if you want.
    Thank you, Amanda! That is very kind of you. I will pm you when we get closer to trying to make a real decision.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

7. Back To Top    #7

I had a hard time making this decision too. I saw 3 Quartz pools and all 3 had molting which I did not want. That's why I went with pebble and love it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Mini Pebble is amazing. Mine was just shot a couple days ago and it looks so good.

National Pool Tile
    11281 Indian Trail
    Dallas, Texas 75229
    Phone: (214) 366-4009
    Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

9. Back To Top    #9

We were worried about the pebble surface too but our neighborhood pool is pebble sheen and we have no issues with it. My new pool is pebble sheen with luminous beads. It feels pretty smooth. At least not like it would tear me up.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by azjoshers79 View Post
    Mini Pebble is amazing. Mine was just shot a couple days ago and it looks so good.

National Pool Tile
    11281 Indian Trail
    Dallas, Texas 75229
    Phone: (214) 366-4009
    Thanks! It's comments like these that make me hopeful we will like it. I'm totally sold on the look. I just need to confirm we will like the feel.

I have been out to visit the NPT showroom and they were very helpful, but unfortunately, no sampler under water. One good piece of information I got from them was a referral to the plaster company that was already my first choice. It was the first name they gave me. I'll still shop around, but that was encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by ummgood View Post
    We were worried about the pebble surface too but our neighborhood pool is pebble sheen and we have no issues with it. My new pool is pebble sheen with luminous beads. It feels pretty smooth. At least not like it would tear me up.
    Thank you Umm. Your pool looks fantastic! We'll see how it all comes out in the budget, but I'd like to add the beads and shells too if I can manage it. Soooo pretty!

11. Back To Top    #11

What plaster company?

12. Back To Top    #12

TnT Plaster. They use Stonescapes (from NPT) but also Gemstone Finest Finish products whose samples Nursenini has shown so well in her pool posts.

NPT also recommended Romo's, who I know does WetEdge as well as the NPT stuff. I've just gotten better responsiveness from the owner of TnT Plaster so far. I figure I'll get quotes from those two as well as at least one PebbleTec company, but I'm not wedded to the brand name.

13. Back To Top    #13

My plaster company was Atlantis and they are based in Abilene. They do pebble tec.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

14. Back To Top    #14

We are very happy with our pebblesheen.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach