Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cleaning cartridge filter

1. Back To Top    #1

cleaning cartridge filter

My basic question is why do you think I'm having to clean my cartridge filter so frequently? When clean the pressure is at about 10 psi. It seems to rise to 20 within a week or two. Granted, I could probably go longer before cleaning it but I notice a SIGNIFICANT restriction in flow at 20 psi, so I clean it then and it really is fairly dirty. Lots of stuff comes out.

I wonder if I am just really too attentive to it but for maximum skimming I prefer maximum flow. I've read people going an entire year without cleaning. I just don't think I could do that!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cleaning cartridge filter

Perhaps your filter is undersized to your pool volume. Bigger is always better with cartridge filters.

Do you use skimmer socks to capture the big stuff? What kind of debris are you finding when you clean?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Perhaps your filter is undersized to your pool volume. Bigger is always better with cartridge filters.

Do you use skimmer socks to capture the big stuff? What kind of debris are you finding when you clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    This and
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure if this would help but I have a Hayward leaf canister in the vacuum hose for the creepy crawly thing. I use an old sock tucked in the strainer basket with the edges rolled over the top of the basket. When I clean out the canister basket once every 2 weeks there is a lot of fine dirt trapped in the sock. I put a fresh sock in and am glad all that dirt (mud) didn't get to the filter cartridge. When I get a dozen dirty socks, I just put them in the washing machine and re-use them.
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a great idea about the sock in the skimmer. To answer your questions, I usually clean some bugs and a few leaves out of the skimmer basket but the filter seems to be mostly sand/fine dirt.

Do you use these?
    Amazon.com : Pool Filter Savers - Skimmer Socks (5-Pack) : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

And my numbers are as follows:

FC 7
    CYA 50
    PH 7.8
    CC 0
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pressure is going from 10 to 20 then the filter definitely needs to be cleaned. Where is the dirt coming from? Is it blowing into the pool from an open field or something. I clean my filter about once a month and the pressure only rises by 2 psi (from 10 to 12) in that time. I have a 150 sq/ft cartridge filter. You're getting the dirt from somewhere around the pool and it needs to be cleaned that often because of the pressure rise.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by robdac View Post
    If the pressure is going from 10 to 20 then the filter definitely needs to be cleaned. Where is the dirt coming from? Is it blowing into the pool from an open field or something. I clean my filter about once a month and the pressure only rises by 2 psi (from 10 to 12) in that time. I have a 150 sq/ft cartridge filter. You're getting the dirt from somewhere around the pool and it needs to be cleaned that often because of the pressure rise.

That makes sense. We don't have concrete yet and there is a ton of sand/dirt around the pool. Maybe after we get concrete it won't get so dirty. My filter is the Hayward C12002 (120 sq. ft)

8. Back To Top    #8

"Do you use these"?
    Amazon.com : Pool Filter Savers - Skimmer Socks (5-Pack) : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

I used to but they seem to rip easily. I just went to the dollar store and got 10 pair of men's dress socks. They have lasted 7 years so far. I also double them up in the basket.
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

9. Back To Top    #9

yeah,
    the fact that you dont have any concrete yet is a big contributor. Even after you get it, you'll find you still have to clean your filter fairly regularly though. A 120 sq ft filter isnt going to provide you a long time between cleanings.

Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    That makes sense. We don't have concrete yet and there is a ton of sand/dirt around the pool. Maybe after we get concrete it won't get so dirty. My filter is the Hayward C12002 (120 sq. ft)
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

I clean my cartridge filter every 1-2 weeks. It is probably under sized, plus my pool is open air with lots of sand around the area. Oh and the 75 lb. black lab tearing through the yard and jumping in the pool on a daily basis doesn't help either. I just rinse it out with a high pressure hose nozzle. Part of my weekend routine...
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Cartridge filter sales in the US just went down after you posted that!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Most of the time algae is the cause of rapidly clogging filters. Nothing clogs up a pool filter faster than dead algae.

You can raise your FC up to 10ish and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is an issue.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach