Newish Owner With A Pool Pump Service Problem, Help!

Oct 8, 2015
Sarasota
Hey everyone,

As a continuation to my last thread about the pool pump leak issue, I had a "different" technician come today to replace my motor. I don't know where to start about how awful this guy was. He starting cussing about how many jobs he had to do and was going really fast. He slammed the new motor down on the brick walkway and dented and scratched it all up. I told him to take it easy and he said it wouldn't be seen under the cover (what?). So when he fried that motor b/c he said he put the impeller on too tight, so he had to get another one out of his truck. I decided to try to calmly talk to him and tell him to please slow down and take his time and not damage the 2nd new motor. He agreed, but was still rough with it. He turns it on and that is when I had a number of issues I need advice/help with as soon as possible so I can get this corrected:

1. The "sound" of the system is now a lot louder, noticibly, not pleasant. It sounds like it is straining a bit, I don't know, but I figured a new motor would be much nicer/quiter than my old worn out rusty motor.

2. Most serious, there is a burning smell coming from my electrical box. I questioned him about it and he first said it was styrofoam burning off the motor probably, but then he admitted it was in the box. He said it was the transformer being killed by the new motor.

3. The flow of the pump in general is reduced a bit, I can see and feel it at the jets, odd b/c the motor is 1.65 hp vs. 1.5 that was on it. Also the filter pressure has dropped from a steady 22 to 14 with the new motor. I asked why I didn't get a 1.5 motor he said they don't make them anymore LOL. The sticker on the pump shows it draws 18amps / 9amps, I'm assuming startup/running? It hasn't tripped the 20amp breaker yet.

I argued with the guy for a long time and finally asked him to put himself in my place and he said he would be upset and would call the owner. The owner told me to pound sand since the system is "working". I said I didn't think it was fair that his repair is now causing a burning up condition of my panel, and that my equipment now is a lot louder and my flow is reduced. He agreed it wasn't but said nothing he could do and drove off. I've called the warranty company and told them everything and they have requested a "senior technician" to come back out and see if it can be corrected. I'm not sure what to do b/c I feel like this company is AWFUL but I don't have a choice of company at this point. Can anyone give me some advice? I don't want to not run the pump b/c my water is perfect, should I run it just long enough to mix chlorine maybe, like an hour a day until they come back out? Thanks.

I would leave it off until it can be checked. I would tell the warranty company that the repair company is unacceptable and you want a new company.

When a service person comes out with that attitude, I would tell them to get off of the property immediately.

Read your home warranty slowly and carefully and take notes. Do you have to arbitrate disputes? Can you sue in small claims court? See how the senior tech does. It sounds like the warranty folks are ok its the techs they send out.

What is the the transformer? If you have one its not for the pump.

Have your wife or a third party carefully make a narrated video with sound about what is happening with the pump. Make it a couple of times so it is clear and clearly shows the problem ok smell is hard to show on video but you can talk about it. Do this before the senior tech shows up. If its not fixed after he leave then make another one. You can send those to the warranty co so they clearly understand your problem.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. The warranty company called me and said the tech called them and said that the matter was closed, he replaced the motor and it was/is working acceptably. I told them about the noise and smell coming from the control panel transformer. And that did very little honestly which upset me a bit. So I explained to the guy exactly the way the "f-bomb" dropping tech acted and then when I mentioned that the 1.65 hp motor was installed instead of the 1.5 and I was told b/c they are no longer made, the warranty guy said "Wait a second, what?". He then put me on hold and came back and said he would make sure that the service call was recalled and that a senior tech would come out Monday to confirm what I am saying is wrong. He then also said if they say it is still ok he will put in for a "second opinion" which means they will send another company out to evaluate. Man I wish I would have just left the D*** drip and had my old pump back. I think the increase in noise maybe from the impeller that the tech used a huge adjustable wrench on and slipped off of it several times, wouldn't that damage it? Not sure about why the new motor is heating up my transformer in my electrical panel. My neighbor and I turned the pump on and smelled it, it is more a heat (overworking load) smell than actual burning, not sure if that is much better. I plan on only running the pump an hour or two and putting increased amounts of Chlorine in there and limp by until Monday. I don't think this is going to turn out well honestly, and I'll just have to pay another company to fix the issue. Maybe it is time to just consider getting a variable speed pump? I'd also like to know what is going on with the panel, all I do know is whatever it is they did and I doubt they will fix it, their reviews are horrible but unfortunately I didn't have a choice as to who came out...ugh :(

something is not hooked up properly. you are risking a fire by running it the way it is hooked up now.

It was a pretty simple 3 wire connection and then an external ground. I watched him do it, color coded pretty hard to screw up I would think. My bet is the motor is bad (drawing more amps then it should) or there is something not aligned right (impeller) maybe. I guess it could be but I've done a fair bit of electrical work and it was hooked up the way the old one came off. Is there any chance the 1.65 is too much for the panel vs. the 1.5? I wouldn't think so which is why I'm thinking something is wrong with the motor itself (bearings stiff/seizing, etc.) The weird thing is why wouldn't it kick the small 20 amp breaker though? I don't know something is definitely wrong :(

The first thing that I would do is call the owner of the company and tell them that the job was not acceptable and that they are banned from the property. It's one thing to give an honest person a second chance to make things right, but I would not trust them.

Second, I would tell the warranty company that the job was not acceptable and that the company is banned from the property. I would require a new company, period. If the agent does not agree, go to their boss. Tell them you will hire someone if necessary to get the job done correctly and send them the bill.

I would suspect that you have a Model WF-6 WhisperFlo pump, which is listed as a 1.5 HP pump, but has a S.F of 1.47, which makes it a total HP of 2.2. I would suspect that they used a 1.65 total HP motor, which would be correct for a Model WF-4 WhisperFlo, which is listed as a 1 HP, but it has a SF of 1.65, which makes it a total of 1.65 HP. Putting the smaller motor on the bigger pump would cause the motor to overheat.

Can you confirm the total HP of the new and old motor?

What pump do you have?

The sticker on the pump shows it draws 18amps / 9amps, I'm assuming startup/running?

The 18 amps is if it's wired 120 volts and the 9 amps is if it's wired for 240 volts.

Note 1: Unless your pool needs a LOT of flow, I would seriously consider getting rid of that pump. It pulls over 2,400 watts. In my opinion, no residential pool needs a pump that big. A 2.2 total HP WhisperFlo is way too big for almost anyone.

Note 2: I just saw your other post confirming the 1.5 HP Whisperflo. I'm pretty sure that the new motor is too small and is overloaded causing it to overheat. Based on your description of the corrosion and the age of the pump, I would not have tried to fix that pump. I would have replaced it. The bolts get seized into the seal plate and won't come out. It's possible that the service person could not reassemble the pump correctly due to the corrosion and I suspect that the impeller could be rubbing against the seal plate.

Can you post a picture of the bottom bolts where the motor mounts to the seal plate?

Another possibility is that the motor might be wired for the wrong voltage. They come wired for 240 and that's what most people have, so it's unlikey, but not impossible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The first thing that I would do is call the owner of the company and tell them that the job was not acceptable and that they are banned from the property. It's one thing to give an honest person a second chance to make things right, but I would not trust them.

Second, I would tell the warranty company that the job was not acceptable and that the company is banned from the property. I would require a new company, period. If the agent does not agree, go to their boss. Tell them you will hire someone if necessary to get the job done correctly and send them the bill.

I would suspect that you have a Model WF-6 WhisperFlo pump, which is listed as a 1.5 HP pump, but has a S.F of 1.47, which makes it a total HP of 2.2. I would suspect that they used a 1.65 total HP motor, which would be correct for a Model WF-4 WhisperFlo, which is listed as a 1 HP, but it has a SF of 1.65, which makes it a total of 1.65 HP. Putting the smaller motor on the bigger pump would cause the motor to overheat.

Can you confirm the total HP of the new and old motor?

What pump do you have?

The 18 amps is if it's wired 120 volts and the 9 amps is if it's wired for 240 volts.

Note 1: Unless your pool needs a LOT of flow, I would seriously consider getting rid of that pump. It pulls over 2,400 watts. In my opinion, no residential pool needs a pump that big. A 2.2 total HP WhisperFlo is way too big for almost anyone.

Note 2: I just saw your other post confirming the 1.5 HP Whisperflo. I'm pretty sure that the new motor is too small and is overloaded causing it to overheat. Based on your description of the corrosion and the age of the pump, I would not have tried to fix that pump. I would have replaced it. The bolts get seized into the seal plate and won't come out. It's possible that the service person could not reassemble the pump correctly due to the corrosion and I suspect that the impeller could be rubbing against the seal plate.

Can you post a picture of the bottom bolts where the motor mounts to the seal plate?

Another possibility is that the motor might be wired for the wrong voltage. They come wired for 240 and that's what most people have, so it's unlikey, but not impossible.

James, thank you so much for your detailed post. Please check back tomorrow morning I'll get pictures of everything for you, any help is so appreciated.

Requested pictures. It is so frustrating knowing that I have a bottom of the rung technician who is lying right to my face but don't have the knowledge to adequately respond to him. Hopefully these pictures will help you guys help me find the issue. The last picture is a close up of the top left corner of the Pentair control panel and that is what is getting hot (transformer?) and we believe making the weird smell when the pump runs. Also one more thing I forgot to mention is that the system seems to vibrate a lot. My neighbor's system is smooth as glass and mine if you grab the piping has a lot of vibration which again makes me thing something is off/rubbing whatever inside the pump, man I wish I would have just left well enough alone:

20151121_070700.jpg

20151121_070707.jpg

20151121_070715.jpg

20151121_070739.jpg

20151121_070747.jpg

The the new motor is the same total horsepower as the original. So, motor size is OK.

The service person should not have needed to go into the control box. So, there should not be a new issue in there.

The motor comes wired for 240 volts and it looks like that's what supplied.

There's no obvious problem with the assembly.

Can you post a picture of the bottom motor mounting bolts, one from each side?

This is the problem with Pentair. They don't allow an owner to change out a pump and retain a decent warranty. However, if some idiot who claims to be a pool tech does it and provides a hand written receipt they'll back them. I'd bet CFIIMAN could have done a much better job on his own, doubly so if his username indicates he can teach a person to fly an airplane solely on instruments.

The the new motor is the same total horsepower as the original. So, motor size is OK.

The service person should not have needed to go into the control box. So, there should not be a new issue in there.

The motor comes wired for 240 volts and it looks like that's what supplied.

There's no obvious problem with the assembly.

Can you post a picture of the bottom motor mounting bolts, one from each side?

James, can you please educate me on on how the 1.64 is the same as a 1.5, I'm not sure I understand, thanks for any help.

This is the problem with Pentair. They don't allow an owner to change out a pump and retain a decent warranty. However, if some idiot who claims to be a pool tech does it and provides a hand written receipt they'll back them. I'd bet CFIIMAN could have done a much better job on his own, doubly so if his username indicates he can teach a person to fly an airplane solely on instruments.

Your assumption is correct. My biggest hobby is also taking cars apart and putting them back together so you can imagine how frustrated I am at the buffoon the warranty company made me use. He was so awful there are not words to describe his incompetence and unprofessional nature (every other word was an f-bomb). While hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I would have left well enough alone I find myself in this shape unfortunately, you live and learn. To anyone that has one of these crappy "home warranties" do not use them, ever! You are better off paying to have it done by someone you choose. I looked on the BBB and American Home Shield has over 5000 certified complaints of screwing everyone. They also have been sued more times then any company I've ever read about, so I doubt this will end in my favor with them. I spoke to someone there yesterday and finally lost my cool with them big time, I was just so frustrated, I hate when I do that but I'm human.

So I need a bit more advice. As I see it I'm left with 2 options:

1. Keep things as is and see what happens/try to continue dealing with the warranty company (in vein most likely).
2. Fix this myself at my expense.

I've decided that I believe what has happened is the "tech" has jammed or damaged the pump side internals some how. I think someone mentioned the impeller rubbing or something, I think that is what has happened. He used a HUGE set of channel locks on the impeller to get it off and slipped on it several times gouging it i'm sure, could that cause the added high pitched noise that is so annoying and also the noticeable reduced flow of the system? I could try to take it apart and take pictures and have you guys walk me through it, or just put in a brand new pump, maybe a variable speed? I found this one that seems pretty nice at a decent price:

Pentair SuperFlo Energy Efficient Pool Pump | 342000

Honestly that is about half what I thought they cost, am I missing something? If I could get that setup and plumb it in I think I'd be good right? I feel confident I could do it but want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. Thanks to everyone and please let me know your thoughts.

Motor power is determined by rated hp x service factor. A 1.5 hp motor with a 1.1 sf is the same total hp as a 1.65 hp with a 1.00 SF. As long as the rated hp x SF is the same, it's the same motor.

The new variable speed pumps are much more affordable than even a year ago. The model you link to has to be wired 230 and requires a separate timer. It looks like you have both of those requirements. The model 342001 can be 115 or 230 and has a built in timer.

I don't know what they got wrong, but, based on your description of everything, it seems that something is wrong.

I would have gone with a new vs pump from the start.

Check the power going to the pump to make sure that it matches the voltage that the motor is set to. The motor label shows how to change from 115 to 230.

Motor power is determined by rated hp x service factor. A 1.5 hp motor with a 1.1 sf is the same total hp as a 1.65 hp with a 1.00 SF. As long as the rated hp x SF is the same, it's the same motor.

The new variable speed pumps are much more affordable than even a year ago. The model you link to has to be wired 230 and requires a separate timer. It looks like you have both of those requirements. The model 342001 can be 115 or 230 and has a built in timer.

I don't know what they got wrong, but, based on your description of everything, it seems that something is wrong.

I would have gone with a new vs pump from the start.

Ok, good to know my thinking on the VS is the right thinking. So do most people install the new pump themselves or have it done? One of the features of this pump is that it is "easy to install" according to their description. Is the place that I linked to fairly reputable or is their another place most TFP members get their stuff? Is <600.00 a good price on the Superflo VS, I guess I thought these pumps were more. Also can I ask how you know my setup is 230v vs 115v? I wish I new more about this industry but right now I'm still learning and appreciate all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.