Sea Water Pool

Ocean water pool ?

I have oceanfront property in the Bahamas. Fresh water is scarce so i want to use ocean water in a pool that i will construct set into a coral outcrop that is 20+ feet thick. I understand the filter system must tolerate a high salt environment.

What are the best materials to use for the pool and deck in this environment?
Is there a chlorine generator that is suitable for this?
Will periodic chemical shocking keep the water clean?
Are there automatic pool cleaners/scrubbers that are suitable for ocean water use?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

There are "true saltwater" pools and then there are SWG pools. A true saltwater pool is filled with ocean water. These are most common on cruise ships or pools right next to the ocean. A SWG pool has perhaps 1/10th the amount of salt in it that there is in ocean water. An ocean water pool requires using materials that are safe at that salt level. For example the normal copper heat exchanger in a typical pool heater won't work for long with ocean water.

Re: My Bahamas ocean front property needs an ocean-fed in-ground pool.

You're not likely to find much input from folks here as that's a very specialized request and using ocean water with very high salinity has some special considerations because of how corrosive it would be to normal pool surfaces and equipment. You're best served talking to a contractor in the area who may have some insight or experience with this.

Re: My Bahamas ocean front property needs an ocean-fed in-ground pool.

A big +1 to what JV said. You need to talk to someone with experience. We love watching pool builds and yours would be unique so keep us posted when you get started.

Asking the same question in different forums is quite confusing to every one. I am moving this under your original post.

Re: Is a Salt Water pool same as sea water???

Here's my out of the box take on it. If I were that close to the ocean and had the resources, I wouldn't worry about sanitation and I would only coarsely filter the incoming water. I would design a system that would turn over the pool volume at least every two hours and just pump ocean water through the pool whenever it's being used. This probably won't work for a public pool, but it should for a private pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.