Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to site. New Build in Rockwall, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New to site. New Build in Rockwall, TX

I found this site a few days ago and have spent WAY too much time at work reading through several threads. I have decided it was in my best interest to get opinions and suggestions from some of the more experienced people on here. My wife and I are relatively young (26 and 25) who have never owned a pool, nor have friends that do. We have two children ages 3 and 1 and my wife says its time for a pool. We are currently building a new home and decided we would do both at once. We recently met with two PB's and have a meeting with our 3rd and final next week. The initial designs and price from both builders were received this week and now we're waiting on the revisions and new $$ with each. One builder was 2K under our budget and the other 3K over. We initially wanted an attached spa but changed it to get a bigger pool, more decking and a waterfall feature for hopefully a little less money than the pool/spa combo; with the thought that we would get a detached spa later, that is much more comfortable and has more jets than anyone would ever need. We have about two acres of land outside the city limits so build restrictions and permit issues are not applicable.

My first concern after reading through the site is that we pick the right builder. I can see that there will most certainly be issues that arise but how each are handle determine the good from the bad. Price, as always, is a deciding factor but not THE deciding factor.
    **If allowed on this site, I would like to list the three builders we are deciding between so that anyone in this area can give any insight they might have. I have checked Yelp, BBB, Rip-off Report, Social Media, etc. and feel confident that all are reputable companies with little to no major complaints but also know that what's online is only half the story.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to site. New Build in Rockwall, TX

Welcome to TFP Smitty! Listing PBs is not supposed to be allowed on the forum. However, if you listed your state (I'm too lazy to look up where Royse City is) then someone from that area who has some knowledge of PBs would probably be happy to help you.
    There are some really smart and helpful people here! I know they have helped me tremendously, so I'm sure someone will be here to help you soon!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

You should also ask your PB in question for recommendations from other pools they have built in your area.

I will have to look for the list of questions to be weaved into the conversations with the PB.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I saw your list of 78 questions earlier this week and used a few that pertained to us when meeting with the second builder last night. Thank you for that. Although the portable restroom for contractors was not one of them

Signed Contract 11-24-2015
    91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"
    Tanning Ledge - 9" water depth

5. Back To Top    #5

Update: We have a signed contract and ready to get the ball rolling. Weather hasn't been kind the last month so we're still waiting to break ground on the house itself, but we have our PB in place for when we do.

91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"

6. Back To Top    #6

That's going to be fantastic! I love the volleyball setup. I hope the weather cooperates for you soon.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you Jamie. With two little ones we thought it best to have the volleyball capability for when they get older. The spa for my wife and the outdoor grill/bar for myself

8. Back To Top    #8

Win-win for all!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Looks beautiful and there's something for everyone!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

10. Back To Top    #10

So we finally got started on the pool build. Here are some pictures of the excavation, steel, plumbing and electrical.

91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"

11. Back To Top    #11

LOVE the shape and Size!

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

I wouldn't be real happy that they're building the raised beam of the spa on grass.

13. Back To Top    #13

A lot of the reason I posted so many pictures, I encourage feedback of any kind. We don't require permits or inspections where we are and I have never had a pool built. I want others that know more than I do, to point out things I otherwise wouldn't know to ask. That said, is there a reason to be concerned about the beam being built on grass?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    I wouldn't be real happy that they're building the raised beam of the spa on grass.
    91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"

14. Back To Top    #14

You wouldn't pour a driveway or sidewalk across the lawn either. Concrete should be on undisturbed soil FREE OF organic material. Doesn't look like you've got much bottom cover on the rebar either. You should have at least 2" concrete between rebar and soil. Three is better. Probably isn't the end of the world but not the best way IMHO.

15. Back To Top    #15

I had the concrete thickness and rebar size/placement checked by a third party and it was said to be normal. I'll point out the grass to the PB. Appreciate the feedback.
    91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"

16. Back To Top    #16

Some info on the equipment/options. Just want pros and cons of any from those with experience.

Coping: Oklahoma muilti color flagstone
    Tile: Undecided standard 6"
    Skimmers: 2
    Decking- 560 sq.ft salt finish concrete

* Pentair Whisperflow 2hp pump
    * 520 sq.ft. Pentair cartridge filter
    * Rainbow 320 automatic chlorinator
    * Pentair racer pool cleaner with booster pump
    * Blue quartz plaster upgrade
    * Pentair LED light upgrade
    * Easy touch pool computer with I-phone modem upgrade
    * SPA - 6 jets. 2Hp Air blower. 400k BTU LP gas heater

Thanks in advance!
    91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"

17. Back To Top    #17

Ask the PB about making the pump a 2 speed pump. You can run it on low speed for most of your filtering needs and save a lot of money on electricity. An Intelliflo variable speed pump would be even better.

The rainbow chlorinator uses trichlor pucks. It is OK to use pucks to chlorinate but they add quite a bit of CYA so you have to monitor your CYA and when it gets too high you will need to do a partial drain to lower your CYA. More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Make sure there is one skimmer downwind of the fall wind and one for the spring wind. They will work a lot better sorking with the wind.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you for the feedback pooldv. I will talk with my PB about the pump!

91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Looking forward to seeing your build - congrats on getting the process going!!

I recommend a robot cleaner versus the pressure cleaner with booster pump. Many conversations on here with that sentiment.

560 SQ FT of decking isn't a ton when you think about having your kids little league teams over for a picnic, etc. Or if you have a big family for gatherings. I certainly understand budget issues, but with all of your wide open space, it just seems to beg for
    more deck space - or at least planned for in the future (but this is always more expensive and doesn't blend like you'd want it to).
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your build - congrats on getting the process going!!

I recommend a robot cleaner versus the pressure cleaner with booster pump. Many conversations on here with that sentiment.

560 SQ FT of decking isn't a ton when you think about having your kids little league teams over for a picnic, etc. Or if you have a big family for gatherings. I certainly understand budget issues, but with all of your wide open space, it just seems to beg for
    more deck space - or at least planned for in the future (but this is always more expensive and doesn't blend like you'd want it to).
    Thank you for the feedback. I too have read a lot about the robot -- pressure cleaner debate on here and decided that I'd go with the pressure-side cleaner with the option to always switch to the robot if need be (I don't know what I'd need to do to eliminate the pressure cleaner, but I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly difficult to cap/eliminate??) . The decking is smaller than I'd like, but we do have an additional 300 sq.ft of back porch that should make it more manageable, I hope. You are correct... budget is the driving factor with nearly every decision unfortunately
    91' - 33 x 17 Freeform
    4' x 5' x 4'
    7' Spa, raised 12"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast