Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor pucks or bleach in winter months

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor pucks or bleach in winter months

My pool is remaining "open", I've removed my SWG for the winter and I'm trying to decide whether or not to use bleach to maintain my FC (btw, do I need to maintain it at the same level as during the summer?) or use Trichlor pucks. My only concern with the pucks is raising my CYA so high that when I "open" the pool I've got to drain water to reduce the level.

Any tips here?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trichlor pucks or bleach in winter months

I would use bleach. Using trichlor will elevate your CYA level, then you'll need to drain in the spring to lower it back down. Bleach is not as convenient but will prevent problems. If you have a cover of any kind, you can eliminate some sun exposure to reduce chlorine degradation so that you can likely go longer between testing/dosing.

You should maintain the minimum FC at least for a manually chlorinated pool at your current CYA. So likely 5-6 ppm FC if your CYA is 60-80. Below 60 degrees you shouldn't be losing much FC per day, even better if you can cover.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I would agree with JV. This is my first "winter" with my pool and I have been amazed at how little chlorine it uses due to the lower temps. I have found that I am manually dosing a half gallon of bleach two times per week. Not bad at all and super easy!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Question - why did you remove the SWG? Do you get hard freezes?

I leave my SWG attached and just run my pumps in the afternoon so that the pool water is warmer and I'm more likely not to get hit by the cold water cut-off on the IC40. I'm only running at 3 hr/day and 20% output on the cell and my FC is still too high (9.2ppm last time I checked).

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    My pool is remaining "open", I've removed my SWG for the winter and I'm trying to decide whether or not to use bleach to maintain my FC (btw, do I need to maintain it at the same level as during the summer?) or use Trichlor pucks. My only concern with the pucks is raising my CYA so high that when I "open" the pool I've got to drain water to reduce the level.

Any tips here?
    Why remove the SWG at all living in vegas? I don't really understand the purpose of that.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Any tips here?
    Everything begins with test results. We at least need to know your current CYA level.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School