Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anode added to pool system to help avoid corrision of heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Anode added to pool system to help avoid corrision of heater

Our pool man added an anode (i think it is called that - see pic) to our pool system to protect the heater from corrision. We run the pool year-round but we do have freezing weather. Someone mentioned to me that we should cover the anode in the winter to keep it from cracking and causing a water leak. Does that make sense and if so what should I use to cover it?

East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Anode added to pool system to help avoid corrision of heater

Proper water chemistry should prevent corrosion of the heater. Galvanic anodes are by design, supposed to corrode. That anode to me just looks like another point of failure for the plumbing or the beginnings of a moonshine still.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

As Joel points out, anodes are seldom necessary, but as folks from my youth used to say, it can't hurt......

From the photo I can't see that it will be any more prone to freeze/cracking than any of the other plastic parts thT are exposed to the weather.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Is the anode the wire coil and is it just sitting on top of the pump strainer or is it going through the top of the strainer so that some metal is exposed to pool water? Anodes are most effective if they are buried in moist soil. If they are just loose in the air, they won't work as well. They still work a little in that they can still corrode in air, but moist soil is better since you want a higher corrosion potential for the anode so that it imparts a higher negative charge on the bonding wire to which it's attached.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"