Nov 19, 2015
Moraga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all:
This week I found one of my return nozzles on the floor of the pool. Turns out it is a slip-style fitting (no threading on fitting or return pipe).
After reading several related posts, it seems that these slip-style fittings are supposed to be knocked into the return pipe, and are meant to hold fast without glue or adhesive.
I placed the nozzle back into the return and gently hammered it in place. (Place a 2x4 over the fitting so that the hammer did not damage the fitting.)
That held in place for several hours under pressure from my , but then loosened and dislodged again. I definitely took it easy re-inserting the fitting so as to be on the safe side and not damage the plumbing.
My next step is to really whack that fitting back into the return pipe, but I am hesitant to move forward before getting more advice.
Anyone encounter this scenario before? What is standard practice to get these slip-style fittings in place?
This is a superb form that has steered me right on several issues in the past. Any commentary much appreciated.
BayAreaPool

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Most all of those fittings are threaded. Do you know who makes that slip-style? That seems really problematic.

Pvc glue is always an option (poor one, IMO). Perhaps others have some insight into that fitting and can offer better advice.

Idea 1 try pushing it in one more time perhaps a bit more forcefully. If the fitting tapers even a little perhaps you can get a wrap or two of Teflon tape around the pipe before you put the fitting on. If that works it will bunch up and bind hopefully holding the fitting, if it does not work it will not cause any damage.
2 put a small pin drop of PVC glue inside the fitting and let it dry to create a bump that will bind the fitting against the pipe.

If option 2 does not work you might be able to take it a step farther and create a slot/flat spot length wise on the pipe with a knife or a file ending in a 90 degree turn at the end. You line up the bump on the fitting with the slot push it on and twist at the end to hold it in place.

I would avoid glue and if you ultimately do have to use it I would only put a spot large enough to hold it but may still be possible to remove it if need be.

My slip fittings were a loose fit to the wall pipe. I built up their diameter by laying on one or more coats of PVC cement (solvent weld type). I let them dry overnight so there was no chance they would "glue" themselves into the wall pipe. Next day I installed them and they were a nice fit. Haven't seen any returns on my pool floor even though my Kreepy Krauly tries real hard to dislodge them.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will try these options and post a result. Will also post image of the nozzle for reference.
Great responses in a short period of time. Thanks so much.

Following up to close this thread. I reviewed all the great suggestions, and started with the simplest first. Fortunately, that did the trick. Applied a small drop of PVC cement to the fitting, let it dry overnight and that added enough width to the fitting that I got a good fit after lightly hammering the fitting back in. Used a section of 2x4 to prevent damage from the hammer head to the fitting. Tapped it back in under about 12 inches of water but that was fairly easy and probably helped ensure that I didn't whack it in too forcefully. It's been in place over a week, and no issue. Thanks again to the group. Pool was trouble free for a few days until I started to see a drop in pressure on my filter. But that's for my next post. I ain't supposed to be easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.