Plaster Pool Drain & Refill - How long can I keep it empty?

lovemyazpool

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hello Everyone -

Due to problems with the chemical (CYA) balance in our (very) green pool, we decided on a drain and refill. We are completely draining it. We live in Phoenix and three difference pool companies told us that there were no worries about the pool "popping" out of the ground since the water table here is so low.

During this process I have decided to move to a salt water system from Josh at Salt Pool Guys (AutoPilot). It is going to take a few weeks to get everything and get it installed and I didn't really want to fill the pool and do all the water balancing act with a new fill, and then try and convert to a SWG system.

The pool company (that allowed the pool to go green in the first place) did not seem to think there would be a problem leaving it completely empty for a few week while we redid the pump/filter/SWG system.

So I guess the question I have is would it hurt the pool to be empty for two or three weeks? Or should I just fill it and try and get the chemical levels set ok and then convert to SWG, and if I do so, would I have to drain it again to convert from bleach to SWG?

Many Thanks!

Go ahead and fill the pool and balance it.

It is MUCH safer to go ahead and fill. The water will protect the plaster from damage from the sun.

There is really nothing to "converting" to a SWG. I will post a couple of links to show you.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

This one writes out the whys for the levels for a SWG

Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

As you can see the only real difference is the CYA level.

Do you have your own test kit yet?

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.