Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter pipe flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter pipe flow

I recently inherited a house with a sand filter. Reinstalled the sand filter now trying to figure out what pipes should be closed and which should be open. There are three leading into the pump. Two right next to each other and the third about a foot away.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter pipe flow

Hi neighbor! We were just there for the Festival of Nations! Had a great time.

Post a pic. of your pool and equipment. That will help us help you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay here you go. Thanks!image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I will upload the pool pics here in an hour or so it won't let me now. I have no wifi I am just working off my iPhone so it's kind of frustrating.

4. Back To Top    #4

No way but experimenting to figure out where the valves go. Main drain, skimmers or spa drain are the likely choices.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

You can use photo bucket to add pics.

You have a simple set up. Like JohnT says it will be easy to figure it out.

See the red handles? The two turned the direction of the pipe are open. The one turned cross way of the pipe is closed.

Use care turning them as they look aged and could be brittle.

How many skimmers (rectangle boxes with a basket sitting in it) do you have?

How many returns (round "eyeball" that returns the water back to the pool from the filter) do you have?

Do you have a main drain (hole in the bottom of the pool that should have a cover with holes in it)?

Do you have a spa?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    You can use photo bucket to add pics.

You have a simple set up. Like JohnT says it will be easy to figure it out.

See the red handles? The two turned the direction of the pipe are open. The one turned cross way of the pipe is closed.

Use care turning them as they look aged and could be brittle.

How many skimmers (rectangle boxes with a basket sitting in it) do you have?

How many returns (round "eyeball" that returns the water back to the pool from the filter) do you have?

Do you have a main drain (hole in the bottom of the pool that should have a cover with holes in it)?

Do you have a spa?

Kim
    I have one skimmer. One or maybe two returns; can't tell with the cloudiness. Plus one main drain most likely a 10,000 gallon pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

For some reason I can't show the pics of my pool Bc it's on my phone I can't show the actual pool. I'd be willing to text the pool pics to you if need be. But I appreciate the help I know the two pipes are flowing ones the skimmer ones the jet I'm confused what the third does. Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

I am confused also. Those three pipes are going into the pump so that says they are coming from the pool to bring the water to the filter.

You will need to get the water clear to see what is what is my guess. There is something else you are not seeing.

Do you have a good test kit? Look in my siggy for the where to buy them. To clear your cloudy water you will need the TF-100 XL. This one is set up to have the testing stuff needed to do a SLAM. I will post the link to how to do a SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

When you get your test kit let us know so we can get you started on getting your water clear!

I will let you work on emailing the pics to your self from your phone so you can find a way to post your pics. This is something that will come in REAL handy during your SLAM. It will help us help you.

Kim