Is my Decko-Drain installed properly? We have moisture spots on interior flooring!

Nov 19, 2015
Odessa
Hi, i'm new on this site and not sure if this is best place to post this topic or not? Hoping I can gain some advice and/or knowledge here. We had a beautiful pool/spa/pavers/lanai installed 1.5 yrs ago. Then, about 8 months later, we had new interior flooring put in (engineered hardwood (not laminate)). Then 5 months after that, we started seeing moisture spots around our 3 back sliders which lead to our pool/patio/lanai area. We live in central FL. I will post pics if need be. My main question is: Is it proper or typical for decko-drains to be installed directly against the house? I'm no construction person, but personally, I feel that the drain should be installed at least a foot away from side of house. Ours is against house and there's a gap between the side of decko-drain and the house where moisture gets in and weeds grow and this is where the worst interior problem is. I feel the gap should've at least been filled with grout and/or caulk (we have pavers). I do not know if just filling the gap would help or should we have drain moved away from against house??

Our slider tracks are level at one slider and the other two the track is actually lower than the pavers.

The other part of the problem we've discovered is that the two ends of our L shape decko-drain spill into a little 15x15 square of dirt in the grass and when it rains, it becomes puddles there and the whole drain end is in the puddle so water is going no where. We have since learned (after speaking to many different people about this, we should probably put in french drain to drain water to backyard (which luckily slopes down in the back).

We've only lived in FL a few yrs and i haven't seen many other people's pools to compare their setup to mine. My pool contractor is trying to evade responsibility. I feel he should've informed us of a potential need for french drains (if not installed them) and at at least filled gap next to decko drain OR installed further from house. It's been hard trying to get people to help us and we have a one yr old baby and don't want mold problems in our home! I appreciate input any of you can give me. Thanks much.

If the interior floor and sliding window track is lower than the surface of your deck, you certainly do have a problem. The grade should always be sloped away from the house.

Sounds like the pavers are too high. The gap should have been caulked. The track should be higher than the pavers. The deck drains should actually drain water, not hold water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.