Pool pump making more noise than I would expect... trying to hunt down the culprit

Nov 19, 2015
Carrollton, TX
So this is not my video, but my pool pump sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giG530ViSQc

It seems really loud, its a Pentair 340040 SuperFlo, about 1.5 years old. It just doesn't sound right to me... like its struggling or something. I've had two capacitors blow in the 1.5 years that I've had the pump. It makes this sound regardless of if the skimmers are clean/full, basket in the pump clean or dirty, DE filter clean/dirty. If I had to take a guess it is an electrical issue, but I am hoping someone has heard this before and can guess at a diagnosis. Thanks!

Right after moving in, the pool pump broke, and I simply replaced the pool pump after it broke with the an exact same new one... and simply put, the previous owners were pretty bad DIYers. I do kinda remember the pool pump being noisey... The pool pump is a 2 HP, and I am wondering if it might be too big for my 20k gallon pool. I need to sit down and do the math, but could a pump that is too big cause this problem?

Certainly, it is too big for your pool......a 1 hp would be gracious plenty. The most important thing is is it too big for your filter? What is the gpm rating for that filter?

I don't think it is causing the problem but it is worth knowing how your pump and filter match up.

Do I need to provide 150 GPM to the DE filter?
No. It means that's the MOST water you should push through it. It would take a very large (3 hp or more) pump to do that so it means you have large filter capable of handling a lot of flow.....your oversized pump is still too big for your pool but your filter can handle it. You are just using more electricity than you need to.

Short of getting a new pump, I don't know if there's a better answer. You could try getting some thin rubber (not more than 1/4" and sliding that under the pump. It might help.

I think I might just get a new pump, either a superflo VS or an intelliflo, both seem good, the intelliflo seems like its the preferred, and my current pump is a Superflo so not sure I want to stick with that line of products. Any suggesti0ons?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.