Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump making more noise than I would expect... trying to hunt down the culprit

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump making more noise than I would expect... trying to hunt down the culprit

So this is not my video, but my pool pump sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giG530ViSQc

It seems really loud, its a Pentair 340040 SuperFlo, about 1.5 years old. It just doesn't sound right to me... like its struggling or something. I've had two capacitors blow in the 1.5 years that I've had the pump. It makes this sound regardless of if the skimmers are clean/full, basket in the pump clean or dirty, DE filter clean/dirty. If I had to take a guess it is an electrical issue, but I am hoping someone has heard this before and can guess at a diagnosis. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool pump making more noise than I would expect... trying to hunt down the culpri

Pump running, can you see air in the pump strainer basket?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool pump making more noise than I would expect... trying to hunt down the culpri

No, no air in the pump that I can see, no air bubbles in the pool/

4. Back To Top    #4

Right after moving in, the pool pump broke, and I simply replaced the pool pump after it broke with the an exact same new one... and simply put, the previous owners were pretty bad DIYers. I do kinda remember the pool pump being noisey... The pool pump is a 2 HP, and I am wondering if it might be too big for my 20k gallon pool. I need to sit down and do the math, but could a pump that is too big cause this problem?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Certainly, it is too big for your pool......a 1 hp would be gracious plenty. The most important thing is is it too big for your filter? What is the gpm rating for that filter?

I don't think it is causing the problem but it is worth knowing how your pump and filter match up.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

I could use a little help interpreting the specs of my filter. It's a FNS 60 DE filter, 60 sq. ft, 150 GPM, 9,000 GPH... I don't know what that exactly means. Do I need to provide 150 GPM to the DE filter?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Do I need to provide 150 GPM to the DE filter?
    No. It means that's the MOST water you should push through it. It would take a very large (3 hp or more) pump to do that so it means you have large filter capable of handling a lot of flow.....your oversized pump is still too big for your pool but your filter can handle it. You are just using more electricity than you need to.

Short of getting a new pump, I don't know if there's a better answer. You could try getting some thin rubber (not more than 1/4" and sliding that under the pump. It might help.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think I might just get a new pump, either a superflo VS or an intelliflo, both seem good, the intelliflo seems like its the preferred, and my current pump is a Superflo so not sure I want to stick with that line of products. Any suggesti0ons?