TX Pool Build: Skimmer Lid Coated in Spray Deck Material?

Oct 23, 2015
Houston/Texas
Hello! I need some quick advice!

My pool builder installed concrete/deck expansion joints, skimmer lids, and umbrella anchors in the wrong color. To remedy this, they intend to use the spray deck material to cover everything, including the skimmer and anchor lids.

I am concerned because I have never seen this done on any pool. Also, it seems that this material is a sealer for concrete, not plastic. How well will the sealer adhere to the plastic long term? Will it scratch easily? Will the lids function properly? Will it be hard to seat the lids?

I hate the color of the joints, lids, and anchors, but I would REALLY hate scratched, damaged areas of the deck over the long haul.

Can anyone shed some thoughts and/or experience with this?

Thank you!!!!!!

I have a salt water pool if that matters.

Hummmmmmmmmmm call the maker of the spray deck and see what they have to say..........You can also ask him if he has done this any where else and to give you the phone number so you can call them and ask how it is holding up.

I am with you that I do not think it will hold up on the sleeves or lids. He might need to redo it all!

Kim

If spray deck is just another name for textured acrylic deck coating, it is a two step process. The texture is applied first, followed by the color top coat. The top coat is very durable and it could even be applied by itself without texture. If it peels or scratches, it's simple to recoat.

Skimmer lids are easily replaced and readily available in a number of different colors. The PB should be able to change those at least.

When I recoated my deck with color top coat I removed the skimmer lids, but still painted over the little rim around the lid. None of them have chipped scratched or peeled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.