Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TX Pool Build: Skimmer Lid Coated in Spray Deck Material?

1. Back To Top    #1

TX Pool Build: Skimmer Lid Coated in Spray Deck Material?

Hello! I need some quick advice!

My pool builder installed concrete/deck expansion joints, skimmer lids, and umbrella anchors in the wrong color. To remedy this, they intend to use the spray deck material to cover everything, including the skimmer and anchor lids.

I am concerned because I have never seen this done on any pool. Also, it seems that this material is a sealer for concrete, not plastic. How well will the sealer adhere to the plastic long term? Will it scratch easily? Will the lids function properly? Will it be hard to seat the lids?

I hate the color of the joints, lids, and anchors, but I would REALLY hate scratched, damaged areas of the deck over the long haul.

Can anyone shed some thoughts and/or experience with this?

Thank you!!!!!!

I have a salt water pool if that matters.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TX Pool Build: Skimmer Lid Coated in Spray Deck Material?

Hummmmmmmmmmm call the maker of the spray deck and see what they have to say..........You can also ask him if he has done this any where else and to give you the phone number so you can call them and ask how it is holding up.

I am with you that I do not think it will hold up on the sleeves or lids. He might need to redo it all!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

All of our neighbors including ours has been sprayed also. Haven't heard of any problems.

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If spray deck is just another name for textured acrylic deck coating, it is a two step process. The texture is applied first, followed by the color top coat. The top coat is very durable and it could even be applied by itself without texture. If it peels or scratches, it's simple to recoat.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the responses! I wish they hadn't made the wrong color choice to begin with.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Skimmer lids are easily replaced and readily available in a number of different colors. The PB should be able to change those at least.

When I recoated my deck with color top coat I removed the skimmer lids, but still painted over the little rim around the lid. None of them have chipped scratched or peeled.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit