Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella sleeves in pool vs on decking

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella sleeves in pool vs on decking

Is it advisable to use a specific kind of umbrella sleeve for inside the pool, i.e., brass vs plastic? I'm planning on using the colored plastic ones for the decking, but wondered if it would be worth upgrading for inside the pool?

Thanks!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrella sleeves in pool vs on decking

I'd stick with plastic in the pool and leave the brass for the deck. The pool is a much harsher environment and may cause the bras to corrode and release metals into your pool like copper and zinc.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting... Thank you. I had assumed I'd want the strength of the brass to protect the plaster, but I didn't think about the affect of the water chemistry on the metal.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

4. Back To Top    #4

Our PB used a plastic sleeve. When shopping for umbrellas, we made sure to buy a wooden shaft umbrella to avoid water chemistry conflicts.
    Good luck
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you had any trouble with the wood swelling in the water and getting stuck in the sleeve?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by flipr View Post
    Our PB used a plastic sleeve. When shopping for umbrellas, we made sure to buy a wooden shaft umbrella to avoid water chemistry conflicts.
    Good luck
    Watch out using wood in the pool, the wood will swell from absorbing the water and if the fit is close the umbrella shaft will get stuck inside the sleeve.

I use umbrellas that have aluminum poles.

Go with the plastic sleeves.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

I think my sleeve is PVC like the return pipes.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

8. Back To Top    #8

These are the cheapest I've found. They come in different colors, I think: AQUA STAR DRAINS | 7" UMBRELLA SLEEVE | TAN | US108

Or these: WATERWAY VOLLEYBALL / UMBRELLA POLE BEIGE (TAN) Part number 540-6709BEIOPT 7270-14

I looked again at the links I'd saved for the metal sleeves and they are actually bronze and not brass, but that probably doesn't make a difference for chemistry concerns. I will probably go with the plastic ones everywhere to save money, except maybe for the volleyball sleeves where the manufacturer may call for a specific metal type. Those will be on the decking though, so not an issue in the water.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have 14 of these in my pool/decking (the PVC units) and they're great. We use the metal umbrellas and didn't have any issues this season. One word of warning, after they put the sleeves in be sure to place the insert and cap on immediately, I didn't and next spring I'm going to have quite the mess to clean-up inside each of these.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

10. Back To Top    #10

It is possible to use brass/bronze sleeves under water (depends on proper alloy selection) but probably not the front-up choice for a pool. Plastic sleeves, even though they probably would not last as long as metal, are more inert and thus a better choice.

As for pole material choice - will this be a salt water pool? If so, then you should not use bare metal poles. If the pole is made out of aluminum, you'll want to ensure it either has an anodized coating on it (nano-scale, porous aluminum oxide coating that is electrochemically formed and can be colored) OR that the aluminum has a high quality powder coating (thermally sprayed oxide coating). Bare aluminum in salt water will corrode over time at the waterline around the pole. Anodizing or powder coating creates a barrier to corrosion. Cheap painted pole coatings will not last more than a season or two.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Watch out using wood in the pool, the wood will swell from absorbing the water and if the fit is close the umbrella shaft will get stuck inside the sleeve.

I use umbrellas that have aluminum poles.

Go with the plastic sleeves.
    We've not had any issues except that finding a compatible size was rough. We remove the umbrella when done in pool, so it hasn't swelled up enough to matter. Found our umbrella on Lowes website. Our sleeve is PVC and measure a little under 1.75".
    Just our scenario, works for us.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test