Testing Steps in Order

I am brand new to this forum and may have missed seeing the answer to this question, but I just wanted to know:
If I first walk up to a pool with my testkit in hand knowing nothing prior about this pool, what order should I follow to perform a complete set of tests?

Water looks clear and clean.

Thanks for your response(s) !

Hi,
Welcome to TFP.

there is no particular order to do the tests. The only one is that has any order to it the the test for Combined Chlorine, it uses the test of the FC, so in that regard, do FC then immediately do CC. Everything else doesnt matter.

hope this helps,

I do FC/CC within minutes of getting a sample. I recommend doing pH next because those are the three tests that you need to run on a daily/almost daily schedule. That will get you into good habits.

Then, TA and CH are usually run weekly, do TA first, then CH as that follows Poolmath order. Only do CYA when you have direct sun and about once a month unless there's an issue requiring more frequent testing. So I would say: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, then CYA.

Do your FC/CC test first. If your FC tests greater than 10ppm, you really can't do the pH test as the results are not accurate when the FC is above 10ppm.

My typical test routine is -

FC
CC
TA
pH

I test CH and CYA no more than twice per month (less frequently in the winter) and I only check salt monthly. I have a titration test for borates but I only check that maybe 4 times per year. With that said, I live in the desert where rainfall is not an issue. If you live in a wetter climate, excess rain water could dilute your pool water and you may need to adjust your testing frequency accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.