Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Steps in Order

1. Back To Top    #1

Cabo San Lucas, MX

Testing Steps in Order

I am brand new to this forum and may have missed seeing the answer to this question, but I just wanted to know:
    If I first walk up to a pool with my testkit in hand knowing nothing prior about this pool, what order should I follow to perform a complete set of tests?

Water looks clear and clean.

Thanks for your response(s) !
    12,500 gallon concrete irregular shape.
    Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Testing Steps in Order

Welcome to TFP.

there is no particular order to do the tests. The only one is that has any order to it the the test for Combined Chlorine, it uses the test of the FC, so in that regard, do FC then immediately do CC. Everything else doesnt matter.

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Northern IL

I do FC/CC within minutes of getting a sample. I recommend doing pH next because those are the three tests that you need to run on a daily/almost daily schedule. That will get you into good habits.

Then, TA and CH are usually run weekly, do TA first, then CH as that follows Poolmath order. Only do CYA when you have direct sun and about once a month unless there's an issue requiring more frequent testing. So I would say: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, then CYA.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Do your FC/CC test first. If your FC tests greater than 10ppm, you really can't do the pH test as the results are not accurate when the FC is above 10ppm.

My typical test routine is -

I test CH and CYA no more than twice per month (less frequently in the winter) and I only check salt monthly. I have a titration test for borates but I only check that maybe 4 times per year. With that said, I live in the desert where rainfall is not an issue. If you live in a wetter climate, excess rain water could dilute your pool water and you may need to adjust your testing frequency accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tallahassee, FL

I do mine....

CH (I do not really do it as I have a vinyl liner)

Here is a link that might help you some.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

I printed this out and have it by my test kit. I no longer need it as it has become second nature to me as it will for you!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!