Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help in determining size of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help in determining size of pool

I am trying to determine the size of my pool and get all kinds of way different answers. The pool is very irregular shaped and all I can tell you is it has 110 linear feet around the outside diameter. It starts with the shallow small wading area then steps into a pool which ends up at 6 feet deep on the far end. I doubt the small circular wading pool holds more than 50 gallons. I have been told anything from 13,000 to 20,000 gallons. Is there anyway to get a fairly accurate estimate? I guess I would have to say the average depth is 4 feet. Trying to determine as I am considering buying a salt water generator cell. Thx

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help in determining size of pool

Even if you go with a large 40K gallon rated cell, that will be best for your pool. Here we recommend oversizing your salt cell by 2X your pool volume. So... you'd want to an SWG for 26-40K gallons. Going with a salt cell rated for 40K gallons is not going to hurt even if your pool is 13K gallons. You'll simply have lower SWG run times and/or lower SWG output levels and longer cell life.

There are several chemical methods to determine volume. Use the search box for "determine pool volume" and you'll get several useful results.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I found this Calc helpful with my teardrop shaped pool, I used the oblong Calc.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

When I used a general length X width X avg depth calc for my pool I got 18,000. I knew that was way off because of our large shallow end so I got a tape measure and chopped it into 3 parts ran the numbers separately and added them together and got 13,800. We used both the City water meter and time to fill x flow rate and it came out to 13,300 so the divide and measure scheme worked out to be fairly accurate.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Help in determining size of pool

In my mind this should work. Say for instance if I had 100 linear feet measuring area on the outside diameter of my odd shaped pool. If I divided that into four equal sides they would be 25 foot each. So using these numbers in the length times width times average depth calculation and taking that times 7.5, it comes out to 18750 gallons. Does this make sense to you? My pool actually has 110 linear feet but I subtracted 10 feet for the small wading pool, its probably more than that. Once I get the exact measurements from the wading pool and remove it, should this method not work? Seems to me if you know the outside diameter total length I should be able to divide that by four to get the LxW calculation?

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

6. Back To Top    #6

I used several different pool volume calculators and averaged the results to determine the size of my irregular pool. Then over the next few months I paid careful attention to my chemical adjustments and adjusted my pool size to reflect the way the pool behaved. Its only ever going to be an estimate. As stated most feel one should greatly oversize your salt cells and filters.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall