Pool pump trips breaker right away.

Nov 15, 2015
Columbus GA
I went out side to find that my pool pump was not running. It had tripped the breaker in the timer box. I have verified the breaker is good and on advice from several people I replaced the motor on my 3/4hp Hayward super pump. But to my disappointment the new motor trips the breaker immediately also. What else can I check?

Hi smiley,
welcome to TFP.

Im not electrical expert, but as far as I know, there are only a couple reasons a breaker will trip.
1. Its gone bad
2. the current being drawn by the motor exceeds the current rating of the breaker
3. there is a dead short somewhere.

First thing, verify the breaker/ or timer is rated for the current being drawn by the motor. The motor current will be listed on the motor tag.

If thats ok, then here is what I would do.

disconnect the motor power cable from the breaker or timer, turn it on. If it trips the problem is the breaker or timer.

If it doesnt trip.
Connect the power cable back to the breaker or timer
DISconnect the cable from the motor. Isolate the wires so they dont touch each other or any thing else.
Turn on the power and see if the breaker trips. If it does, there is a short somewhere in the cable itself.

If it dont trip, then it the new motor may be bad out of the box.
Another possibility is that one of the wires on the power cable is touching the ground wire, or some metal part in the motor terminal box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.