Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning Probes on Hayward Sense & Dispense AQL-CHEM

1. Back To Top    #1

Lindale, TX

Cleaning Probes on Hayward Sense & Dispense AQL-CHEM

I noticed late this summer that my Sense and Dispense system was using a lot of acid but rather than checking the pH level with my tester (lesson learned), I depended on the reading from my Pro Logic system which has been showing from 10-13 ppm. Finally, got my chem back in balance but now have a malfunctioning probe. Do these need to be cleaned from time to time or is it a sign of a bad probe, which are not cheap at all? This equipment is a little over three years old.
    22,538 gallons, Salt chlorinator, IG, Gunite/plaster, Installed 2012
    Hayward 2 HP-2 Speed, Hayward Model C5530BHMB Filter, 550 Cartridge
    Hayward GLX-PL-LOC-P-4 Display Local with Pro Logic P4, Hayward Sense & Dispense AQL
    Hayward Shark Viio Cleaner, Super Pro Deluxe Test Kit
    Add water from well for evaporation purposes

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning Probes on Hayward Sense & Dispense AQL-CHEM

If your probe is three years old, replace it without question. They don't tell you this, but pH sensors are pretty consumable and should be replaced with regularity. Don't skimp on this, or start testing and adjust your pH manually with acid additions to prevent problems down the road. If you don't, you'll risk significant damage to your pool and possibly equipment. I don't mean to sound alarmist, but this is critically important.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr