Remodel In Phoenix, AZ

mooveebuff

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
****UPDATE 05/27/16**** Here is the time-lapse video of the renovation from start to finish.

Here is a video of the pool now just to show water color and the finish underwater.

Hello All - I've been on here a long time, but never introduced myself. In 2012 I bought a house with an existing 16' x 32' play pool (3' / 5' / 3'). That's when I signed up here initially. I think I've spent all that time reading and learning about pool care, as I've never owned a pool before. The house was built in 1978. Not sure when the pool was built, but I'm assuming around the same time. I love the pool, but it needs to be updated badly.

Last year, I replaced the pump with a Hayward variable speed pump and replaced the old sand filter with a cartridge filter. I also converted to a saltwater system. Now, the time has come to update the pool itself.

I met with four companies, and I ended up signing a contract with Blue Dot Pools yesterday. Surprisingly, there were very little differences in prices quoted to me, so I went with the company I felt the most comfortable with. James, the owner, is the one who met with me initially and met with me again to follow-up and go over the final details. I liked him the best, no sales pitches at all...just wanted to make sure I got what I wanted.

I'll post some pictures of the pool as it is now, and I'll be taking tons of photos throughout the process too. We won't be starting for a few weeks, but I'll try to update regularly when we do.

Here's what I'm having done:

Chip-out of old plaster and resurface with Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, with glass beads added.

Build a 5' x 13' x 3' High baja shelf with an umbrella sleeve.

Remove in-floor cleaning system and plumb in three return fittings.

New waterline tile and new cap tile.

Make repairs to deck and resurface with acrylic lace.

Add an auto-leveler.

Put in a hose bib on the back wall of the yard.

Install a stainless steel handrail.

Add a fourth step to make the bottom step less steep when getting out.

Remove old light fixture and replace with new Pentair 5g LED system.

Build a 15' wall on far side of the pool (tile on front and topped with flagstone), with a 4' sheer descent waterfall in the center.

....and I believe that about does it. Cost will be approximately $21,000 when all is said and done. I cannot wait to get this started!

Pool a1.jpg

Pool a2.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, it's getting close now! Talked to my PB yesterday, and it looks like we're going to drain the pool on Wednesday and try to get the chip-out done by the end of the week. Made final decisions on waterline tile (I was torn between 3 different tiles) and he drew up what the water feature is going to look like. I'm going to take a bunch of pictures of the pool today and tomorrow just to show how it looks now before we get started, and then I'll take pictures throughout the process.

@Marlahoutex - thanks for the welcome! I'm doing a pretty good job spending my money as it is...lol

This is the 6 x 6 tile we're using for the waterline and the front of the water feature (Aquarius Islands Sapphire Breeze):

This is the deco tile for this series. I'm only using 3 of them, centered in each of the 3 tiers of the waterfall wall:

Here is the drawing the PB sent me of what the waterfall will look like:

Not much of an update, but there will be more to come...

Attachments

• Aquarius Islands Sapphire Breeze.jpg
    Aquarius Islands Sapphire Breeze.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 546
LOVE the tile and that turtle!!!!!!!!!!!! OH SO CUTE!!!

That water feature is nice looking! It is going to sound so nice! Make sure to have a way to control the flow so you can quiet it down if wanted/needed.

Think about what color grout you are going to use for that pretty tile.........white for contrast? gray to blend? Talk to your PB about choices.

I can't wait to see more pics!

Kim

Oops...I knew I was leaving something out! I'm going with gray for the grout and I'm also going with gray for the acrylic lace deck resurface. I just really love how the gray looks alongside the blue. The only white I'm going to have is the cap tile around the pool. I think the white grout would make too much contrast for my taste.

And so it begins! Today my PB came out and let us know the schedule for the next few days. Today we drained, and tomorrow through Friday we should have the chip-out/demo and most of the plumbing done. We're not on the schedule for next week, so he's trying to get as much done as possible this week. I'm so happy to be starting!

Here are a few more pictures as the pool is now and one of it after it drained. The photos are a little distorted because I had to use the GoPro...it's the only thing I have wide-angle enough to get the whole thing in one shot. I'm going to try to do a time-lapse video too, so if it comes out I'll post a link to that when everything is done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The chip-out crew came out yesterday to get things started. They got a late start, so they only worked on it about an hour or so before having to pack it up:

The crew returned today and worked on it most of the day. It looks like they're close to done. They'll be out to finish tomorrow, and then plumbers will be out Monday. The PB will be out Monday as well, to go over design (shape, etc.) for the baja step and make sure we're on the same page with everything. So far, so good! :goodjob:

In other news, my new test kits will be coming tomorrow (TF-100, Taylor K-1766 Salt Test), so I'll be prepared when things are up and running again. I've gotten by on one of the typical small pool store test kits all this time, but now it's time to take things more seriously. I got the Speedstir magnetic stirrer too...I'm a gadget guy, and I like the LED lights at the bottom to help read the results better. Now I just have to learn how to use everything! :testkit: :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Love the proposed water color!

Thanks! I really love the look of the aqua blue mini pebble. I know it may look different in my pool, but I like it in every photo I've seen (deep pools, shallow pools, full sun, full shade, etc.), so I'm pretty confident I'll love it.

It always looks scary when they chip a pool out. If i didn't see it done here a thousand times, I'd be freaked out! LOL

Plumbers came out yesterday and today, and the PB came out and marked off lines for the baja shelf and the fourth step:

Pretty good progress so far. I don't think anybody will be out the next two weeks with the holidays, so I think he's trying to get as much done as he can this week. It sounds like the they may start working on the wall/waterfall later today and tomorrow. I'll post updates as anything happens...

Sweet! I can wait to see progress! I just you're pretty anxious too!

I have a wall!

Okay, I'm a little too excited about it, but they started working on the wall/water feature today:

Not quite done yet, but they'll be out to finish it tomorrow. This is going to look amazing once it's finished and the tiles are put on the front when they put in the waterline tile. I wasn't even expecting to have anyone out this week, so this is a bonus!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.