How to turn on system after it shut off due to low salt

Jul 28, 2015
Orlando, FL
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me resolve this problem:

I have a 10,000 gallon in-ground pool with an AquaLogic AQL P-4 system with a Hayward GLX-CELL-5 salt cell (less than a year old). I failed to maintain the salt level and as a result the salt level became VERY low, so much so that the system shut itself off. I added the necessary salt to the pool but now the system wouldn't turn on. Whenever I press "Filter" to start the system there is a buzzing noise coming from the filter cartridge system and / or pump but there's no water flowing through it. My guess is that the system has not registered the fact that the salt level in the pool is back to normal. How do I jump-start the system so that it can get water flowing through it again and the salt cell can register that the salt level is correct? Please help!

The salt level won't affect the pump. It will only turn off the swg. The pump might be seized or need a new capacitor or might be bad. See if the shaft turns freely. If it does, try a new capacitor. What pump do you have and how old is it?

Hi James...thanks for the reply. I have a Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump, 11/2 Horsepower, 115/230 Volt, 1 Phase. I bought it less than 3 years ago. I was reading that if the salt level becomes too low the system (including the pump) shuts off to prevent any damage. When I run diagnostics the salt level reading is 0000. Forgive my amateur comments but I don't know what shaft you're referring to.

Low salt will not keep the pump off. It sounds like the system is sending power to the pump but the pump is not starting. First, turn off the pump, then you can access the motor shaft from the back of the pump. There is a small hex cap over the shaft access. About a half turn counterclockwise and it will come off. Then try turning the shaft with an open end wrench. I think it's 1/2".

If it turns easily, then the run capacitor is likely bad. It's the bump on top of the motor. Remove the capacitor cover by removing the two screws with a 1/4" nutdriver. Then get a new capacitor at a local motor shop. Make sure that it's an exact match including all specs and physical dimensions.

Make sure that the timer does not try to start the pump until the problem is fixed. You can put it in Service mode if you don't want to change the timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.