Skimmer and side vac filters

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
Figured this was the right place for this if not mods feel free to move:
After one season of using our pool I'm compliling a list of things I would have done differently and I can tell you putting planters right next to my pool is slowly rising near the top. Had a wind storm blow through over the past 24 hours and as usually the remaining landscape bark and dirt ended-up in my pool. Prior to turning on my pump I think I'm going to run and grab either the 1 gallon paint can strainers for my skimmers as they seem to have a finer mesh than the pool store skimmer filters and figure out something to put in my Hayward leaf canister to filter out the dirt prior to it hitting my pump. I know where to get the paint can filters but no clue what do to with the leaf canister, any ideas?

Also, there's a lot of dirt in my pool (pictures only show a small area) will I run the risk of hurting my pump as these filters fill with dirt or in other words potentially cutting off flow or slowing flow to my pump?

20151117_094559_zpsrgga8dem.jpg

20151117_094544_zpsayacepx7.jpg

I think the dirt would be OK going through the pump but I would try to get as much of the mulch out with your pool net then run your Pool Cleaner.
I agree the dirt will be fine going to the filter, however, I'd like to catch as much of it prior to getting to the filter if possible to keep the filter "clean". So I thought if I could do something similar to putting a skimmer sock on a skimmer with the Hayward leaf canister that is between my pool cleaner and the side vac port. Hope that made sense.

This thread is a good sales presentation for a robot. If you have this problem now, you will have it again. I suggest you buy a good robot and throw it in twice a week for an hour. Your pool will be clean any you will get a free hour each week to drink Jack by the pool while you tell the wife you are "working" on the pool.

This thread is a good sales presentation for a robot. If you have this problem now, you will have it again. I suggest you buy a good robot and throw it in twice a week for an hour. Your pool will be clean any you will get a free hour each week to drink Jack by the pool while you tell the wife you are "working" on the pool.
Yep, already mentioned that to a neighbor. We get some pretty high winds in my area, will probably upgrade down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.