What is recommended winter water level for my pool

Nov 17, 2015
Oxford CT
This is my third winter with 20 by 40 rectangular vinyl liner pool in CT. The deepest end is about 9 feet deep, the shallow end is 4 feet.

The first year was a disaster. I've bought the house close to the winter and before I know the ice was in pipes and a skimmer. Somehow the pool survived with no damage.

The second year I did some reasearch and drained it below skimmer and inlet and return lines. I dont have drain on a bottom , so it's one inlet port , one skimmer and two return line ports. All the ports are 4 inches below the skimmer . So, I've drained the pool at about 5 inches below inlet and return lines, added chemicals and put safety cover over it.

Everyrthing was just fine until we got several heavy snowfalls last year. The safety cover was caving really bad. Some anchors got pulled away and some spring clips got destroyed.

Not sure what to do this year.
  • Should I drain it like last year and reinforce ancors and and springs ?
  • Should I put some kind of inflatable bags to support safety cover?
  • Should I keep the water in pool and just blow the lines and cover them?
I am lost a this point. Thank you for advice.

I'm guessing a above ground pool?
I lower mine as you, 6 inches below return.
If you cover it, you will have to remove snow ea time significant snow builds on it. A big PITA for above ground pool but needed to be done.
As like here,I always removed after any snow fall, as the snow could melt, freeze and then the next snow fall would just sit on the layer of ice causing less room to top edge of pool.
never had luck with air pillows.
My pool is above ground so if this is an in ground I cant really comment on what happens other than think it would just ruin a cover as with a above ground it can knock down the whole pool by pulling the walls inward.No trees too close so I don't cover anymore, cleaning a few leaves a couple times before it freezes solid is much easier than back strain and the neighbors wondering why in the world am I out in a blizzard shoveling a pool out:confused:

In your signature add what type of pool and all known equipment for the pool so any further questions can be answered easier.

Last edited:
If it's a loop loc cover check there website. They give a distance down from the deck/ concrete surface that the cover is warranted too. I think it's 14" maybe 16".

I have a loop loc and drain mine below the returns to blow lines, the rain will fill it back up over the returns and then I monitor the water level until freeze up. I keep it about 2" below skimmer mouth.

When it freezes then it will help support snow load without ripping out my anchors.

The issue you had last winter was the heavy snow before the water froze. The weight of the snow last year overloaded these covers and forced them into the water. The ice adds to help support the cover over winter. I know of several covers that pulled anchors out of concrete and the d rings on the springs were ruined. IMO there is nothing you can do. I knew this was happening and managed to clear mine of first couple of snow falls. That darn snow adds insulation and the water can't freeze solid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.