Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hypothetically.....

1. Back To Top    #1

hypothetically.....

My CYA is 60
    What happens if I maintain FC at say 20 instead of 5-7?
    Thanks
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hypothetically.....

You waste money.....

Your pool is safe to swim in with FC up to shock level; but a couple of things can occur that will cost you money-

As FC loss per day is a %, not a fix amount you will use up more FC than you need to

The higher FC will be harsh on your swim suits and cause them to fade and degrade
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

You have a plaster pool... Anyone with a vinyl liner, don't even think about it as it will cause your liner to fade too!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    You have a plaster pool... Anyone with a vinyl liner, don't even think about it as it will cause your liner to fade too!
    anything below shock level should be safe for a liner
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll waste a lot of bleach is all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    anything below shock level should be safe for a liner
    Okay, a bit of clarification on my post.

If anyone reading this for basic info that has a medium to dark blue liner, please avoid higher FC levels unless your chemistry gets out of whack and you need to SLAM. Many liners with darker blue "dyes" may fade at prolonged high FC to CYA ratios.

7. Back To Top    #7

So the 5-7ppm on the CYA sheet is the minimum amount of chlorine needed?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    So the 5-7ppm on the CYA sheet is the minimum amount of chlorine needed?
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart Miniumum FC for 60 CYA is 5. Target is 7ish. What you want to do is figure out how much you lose each day and add just enough to keep you above 5 until you add again. Most of us allow a little breathing room, so we won't drop below 5.5 or 6. So your target may end up being 7.5 or 8. But for starters, use 7 as your target when you use poolmath to dose. If you come up short when you test it the next day, raise the target. The important thing is to always keep it above 5. If you never get algae, it's really easy to keep it away.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!