Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter pool storage question

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter pool storage question

Hi if you see at the bottom I have an 18'x48" ultra pool. It's currently being stored in my garage. My question is I have a chance to buy a 26'x52" Intex ultra pool from a guy. It's a great deal. Is it possible to store this outside if I wrapped in a tarp? I don't have anymore room in garage to store another pool. We live in Oklahoma where we don't get really harsh winters. Another question is: do any of you advise not to buy a used Intex ultra pool? The guy said he bought it in August. It's currently still up and needs to be drained soon. Please advise
    Mike
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Winter pool storage question

I would go check it out while it is full, if possible, to make sure there are no leaks. I am leaving my pool up all winter, in central PA, and have done so with my previous 18' x 48", with no ill effects. As long as you take care to ensure no animals or what have you get into the liner, it should be okay, I would think. Perhaps you could move the smaller pool outdoors and put the larger one in the garage? Just in case.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    I would go check it out while it is full, if possible, to make sure there are no leaks. I am leaving my pool up all winter, in central PA, and have done so with my previous 18' x 48", with no ill effects. As long as you take care to ensure no animals or what have you get into the liner, it should be okay, I would think. Perhaps you could move the smaller pool outdoors and put the larger one in the garage? Just in case.
    I agree with PAGirl: definitely go check it out before it's drained. You should be fine storing it outside, as long as it's properly covered and you don't have any destructive storms. I don't have storage space, so my pool has to stay outside all winter (I live in Illinois), and I haven't had any negative effects.

4. Back To Top    #4

I store mine outside here in Nebraska, in a large deck storage box that I bought at Lowes.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

5. Back To Top    #5

He started to drain it last night. He's an hour away. He told me this morning that he started to drain it. He assures me that is new as of August and no leaks. One thing on the picture has two hoses for intake and one outtake hose. I said most intexs I've seen has only one intake hose. Is this something new on intex

6. Back To Top    #6

The two lines are clear as well and the out take like is white

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The new ones do have two inlets.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep the two outlets are part of a new safety feature. There are threads on here on how to cut out the two small diameter outlets and replace with standard 1.5 inch outlets.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops sorry, inlets, not outlets.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks
    How do you use a vacuum with the new system?

10. Back To Top    #10

I either use the plate adapter that came with the skimmer, or better yet, thread a 1.5 " pipe nipple into the inlet with the vacuum hose attached to it.

11. Back To Top    #11

The pool is being taken down on Saturday. It's supposed to be about 45 degrees on Saturday. Would I need to worry about the pool liner cracking?

12. Back To Top    #12

I think you'll be ok, but I have not handled mine when it was that cold.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you Phil
    You are the best

14. Back To Top    #14

I got the pool. I decided to store on top of older pool in garage. I'm not sure what kind of shape it will be in when I put it up. At this point all I can do is hope there isn't any leaks. I am also storing the beams and T's in the garage. I plan to get help leveling 30' x 30' this spring and then put pool up in April. I will post a new thread with pictures then. And suggestions how to post pictures on here?
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Philc any suggestions on hard plumbing the pool?
    Mike

15. Back To Top    #15

you have to post pictures to a file sharing service, and then link to them in the threads. Many people (myself included) use Photobucket. It's free to use.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

16. Back To Top    #16

I put Hayward inlets in the place of the old small inlets: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=pd_bia_yo_t_1
    I threaded regular 1.5" pvc pipe fittings into them and glued pipe to make my plumbing.
    Where I used the original Intex outlet I used a 40mm to 1.5" adapter: http://www.amazon.com/GAME-4560-Conv...ZSWQTZ4B933F2G

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Phil
    Did you cut out the two inlets that came with the pool and replace them with the Hayward inlets?

18. Back To Top    #18