Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Manual Air Relief Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Manual Air Relief Valve

I have a Hayward 550 Smart Filter. I'm unable to close the valve on top to stop water and air release. These look fairly easy to replace. Is it simply the process of screwing the bad one out and replace it with a new one. I've tried to screw it out by hand and it won't budge.......
    22,538 gallons, Salt chlorinator, IG, Gunite/plaster, Installed 2012
    Hayward 2 HP-2 Speed, Hayward Model C5530BHMB Filter, 550 Cartridge
    Hayward GLX-PL-LOC-P-4 Display Local with Pro Logic P4, Hayward Sense & Dispense AQL
    Hayward TurboCell-T Cell 15 Salt Chlorinator, Dolphin s300i Robotic Cleaner
    Add water from well for evaporation purposes

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Manual Air Relief Valve

What's the actual model number of the filter system, rather than the replacement filters?

See here for model information: Manuals | Resources - Hayward Pool Products

You should be able to find replacement parts and get a rough idea on how to replace from the parts diagrams in the filter manual, once you find the proper one.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

The model # is C5530BHMB and uses 550 filters. I've found the valve and got it on order. I was able to find a 'How To' video and looks like I have to remove the entire MAR assy and remove the plastic wing nut underneath to replace the valve itself. Thanks for your help.....
    22,538 gallons, Salt chlorinator, IG, Gunite/plaster, Installed 2012
    Hayward 2 HP-2 Speed, Hayward Model C5530BHMB Filter, 550 Cartridge
    Hayward GLX-PL-LOC-P-4 Display Local with Pro Logic P4, Hayward Sense & Dispense AQL
    Hayward TurboCell-T Cell 15 Salt Chlorinator, Dolphin s300i Robotic Cleaner
    Add water from well for evaporation purposes

4. Back To Top    #4

Great! Nice when you can find information out there to help things along rather than a wing and prayer.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons