New Guy - So glad there is a site for this...

People don't get how much money they can save by sharing info... I have a slight problem, but fixed most everything from this site. So, felt joining and helping them to increase volume is a must.... Have an old Laars / Teledyne Gas heater for our rental home hot tub... Waterfalls into the pool... Pretty nice and was great when we were younger, raising our girl, etc. Now it is a rental. Nice couple living there.. We gave 75$ worth of free gas. The last couple didn't use it and the guy was CHEAP ! Caught him buying chlorine at Dollar General... 6 gallons worth, I asked what it was for, it is for the pool...

Anyway, they are gone, the heater is circa 2003 yikes ! I had zero problems for years and years - no complaints... They started using it and the temp would not go high enough, plus starting problems, and other little things. I replaced the igniter, cleaned everything up, replace the gas valve, and bought, tried to replace the controller. When I first tried it would blow the fuse... Followed all directions with the jumpers, etc. Still, wouldn't work. I pulled the face plate and temp sensor off and used them... Now, it will hold a hot enough temp. but only if the Pot is turned all the way up... They are not complaining, so it is not a big big deal. I want it to work correctly. It was always finnicky as the tub is 60 feet away from heater and pump. You can guess how it takes time for the hot water to reach the tub and back to the sensor.

I think the controller was bad to start, on the back of the instructions were *notes... I had already messed with everything, so no sending back... $167.00... My question is : How can I increase the resistance on the pot ? Can it be done by soldiering a resistor on the board ? Can I adjust the temp. sensor input with a resistor inline....

I hope for an electronics guy... This is a tough question, I am sure of it. I did use the new temp sensor and it seemed to work better at first and it slowly going to opposite direction... I figure to receive a call from them in a month or two telling of WARM water only... Let me state, I love that heater, it has performed great over the years and would recommend it to anyone... Great product... A little rusty now, but is to be expected in Port Saint Humid Lucie.... Florida...

I am an electrician (industrial) by trade and all things maintenance, mechanical, welding, etc.... Wast never an electronics guru and did mostly heavy pipe, wiring, cabinets, even PLC work... Just not radio shack electronics...

Radio shack... Ha! I am that geek you see working on PCBs. Do you have a picture of the board or can you find a picture of one online? Is it millivolt or powered? Just a plain rotating pot?

One of these : This is a link to where I bought it... Laars Temperature Control Assy Electronic/Millivolt

Sorry if it isnt allowed... I have the wiring diagram on phone but lost everything... Yes, it is just a simple pot... Had another guy tell me I may be looking at a dirty heat exchanger, especially up by the temp. sensor...

Nice couple living there.. We gave 75$ worth of free gas. The last couple didn't use it and the guy was CHEAP ! Caught him buying chlorine at Dollar General... 6 gallons worth, I asked what it was for, it is for the pool...

Ha!Ha! That tenant must have been reading and learning pool upkeep from this site! Good old plain bleach is the best thing for pools! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.