Pool math says not to add MA; pH 8.2

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
I just calculated what I need to add on Pool Math. For the pH, it says I don't need to add any MA, even though my TestKit says it's at 8.2.

Here are my numbers this morning if needed.

SWG system
currently using 22,000 for the pool gallons
water temp: 69
water looks great

FC: 9 (I'll dial down the pump times and salt cell %)

CC: 0

pH: 8.2

TA: 80

CH: 450

CYA: 70

Salt Level: unsure - need to call my PB tomorrow; PDA shows status at 3100; salt test kit says 2600 the first time I tested it and 2400 the second time

Is that correct that I do NOT need to add MA? Usually I have to when my pH is that high.

Thanks,
Suz.

Suz, I just did the Pool math using your info.

I got to add 25 oz. of MA to lower the PH down to 7.6

I am not sure why your pool math did not say to add MA?

I put in all of your info and set the targets for the middle of the road.

If your PH is that high you DO need to add MA to keep it in line.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Do you not have the target side set up for a SWG pool? You should at least lower it to 7.8

What is your water temperature?

She has the water temp listed as 69 degrees-burrrrrrrrrr LOL

Kim

Here are my numbers this morning if needed.

FC: 9 (I'll dial down the pump times and salt cell %)

CC: 0

pH: 8.2

TA: 80

CH: 450

CYA: 70

I would suggest that you might be higher than 8.2, since I don't trust the pH test over 8.0. As suggested above, I would calculate bringing pH down from 8.0 to 7.8 and retest....

Also, at 9 ppm chlorine, you are on the cusp of having some bleaching, indicating a higher pH that actually exists.

Double check you input into PoolMath.... it should be telling you to add MA.....

Brian: yes, I have the targets set for a SWG system. Water temp - 69. And right, I want that pH lower. I just thought I should ask in case there is some sort of exception due to "blah blah blah" (I'm so new, I can't imagine what an exception would be! Lol!) Thanks for posting.

Kim: I must have done the Pool math 3-4 times. At first I thought Pool Math might not be working, but I think that was because most of my test numbers seem to be ok. So I changed one of the figures (I think CH), and the CSI calculation did change, so I felt like Pool Math must be working.

I will try it again. Who knows what little goof I may have made. But golly, I checked everything over and over and over. It kept coming up with no additions for pH. Thanks for the post. I'm headed over to Pool Math tto try again!!!

Suz.

Thanks Ewkearns, thanks so much. I did try the change input from 8.0 to 8.2, and still get nothing in the MA box.

A friend of mine just stopped by and double checked everything for me. (she's very computer/technology savvy) She confirmed everything is correct and still there's only 0.0 in the MA add box for pH. She suggested I close out of TFP and reload the page.

I'll do that and if I still get nothing, I'll use Kim's amount. It's a mystery.

Suz.

Dave, thanks for your post. I didn't see your post until after I posted my last one. You've done a good job about getting through to me that we just follow the numbers. That's so helpful rather than getting caught up in CSI, etc. I only use Pool Math to see how much of something to add. I'm sure with time, I'll be more comfortable guessing or knowing about what I need to add to make different adjustments. I was more curious than anything of why Pool Math didn't seem to be working.

Mystery solved..... I had put in a comma in my gallon amount at the top of the page: 22,000 gave me 0 to add for MA; 22000 gave me 31oz MA to go from 8.2 to 7.5.

I've been using 24000 since the pool filled. I guess I read the directions and did it correctly without the comma. This morning I decided to switched down to 22000 since my Calcium Hardness I added had increased my CH more than I had expected. So this morning I flubbed up and put the comma in. Oh well, I knew I had done something wrong.

Thanks everyone for your help!!! It is so great to know I have people to turn to when I'm confused about my water testing.
Suz.

What is interesting is the directions for Pool Math says this:

"So we enter 14,900 gallons in the orange "Size" box near the top of the page."

Note they use the , BUT when I put a comma in it messes up the results. WEIRD!

At least now we know!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sure with time, I'll be more comfortable guessing or knowing about what I need to add to make different adjustments.
Honestly, this stuff will become second nature to you. Keep reading and learning and you will soon be able to know what your pool needs even before your testing confirms it.

The directions for PoolMath should be changed to not use the comma in the example and explicitly say not to use commas in any of the numeric input fields. Either that or PoolMath itself needs to be changed to return an error message when a comma is input (or to allow commas, but that can get confusing given the European convention of using a comma as a decimal point and a period as a thousands separator).

The directions for PoolMath should be changed to not use the comma in the example and explicitly say not to use commas in any of the numeric input fields. Either that or PoolMath itself needs to be changed to return an error message when a comma is input (or to allow commas, but that can get confusing given the European convention of using a comma as a decimal point and a period as a thousands separator).

Good ideas! Surely, I'm not the only one to have made that mistake. But from researching the issue before posting this thread, apparently I'm the only one who didn't use a little divergent thinking and try it without the comma. Well, I did, but way after I researched and took up ya'll's time!

Suz :) and a little of this :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.