Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater with no internal insulation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater with no internal insulation?

How less efficient do you think a heater would be without all the insulation on the inside of the side panels? Specifically, we've got an old Laars 330 BTU heater and it looks like rodents scratched away all that side insulation over the last few years.

This is our first winter with the pool (we bought the house this summer) and I thought the heater was shot but after a cleaning and servicing, it's working. Just wondering how much extra gas I'll burn to use it without the insulation. Also, we plan to use the heater to heat our spa only maybe 3 or 4 times a month from now through April - we probably won't ever heat the entire pool.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater with no internal insulation?

You will lose alot and there is a reason why it's there. It's important to remember that the insulation inside the unit is just like the insulation in your house. Plus the entire cabinet will get very hot as well and could be a hazard. So you are taking a risk operating the unit in the condition that it's in now.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't use a heater if it were not in good condition. Missing insulation is a significant issue. Heaters should only be operated when everything is good.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input, we'll definitely hold off on using it until we replace it.
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit