Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner run time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner run time?

Just,installed my stenner pump it's a 3gpd variable pump. What's normal run time to dose 2 -3 ppm of fc?

I have run it at setting 10 for 4 hours and measured no fc rise.

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Stenner run time?

If setting 10 is max then 4 hrs should put you right at 2.5 PPM assuming 8.25% bleach. I would check your tube connections make sure you are not sucking air and loosing prime. If you can see the liquid level in the supply bucket measure or mark the level to be sure it is drawing the aprox 65oz you expect in 4 hours. If it is then I would say you either have old bleach or something is consuming the bleach.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ya i don't get it. When I was manually dosing. 48oz of bleach daily was all needed. I have run the stenner with the pump so about 4 hours and I'm not getting enough rise in FC but I can't figure out why. I disconnected the input to the pool return to verify the stemmer pump was actually getting it to the pool and it was. Im at a loss. I wonder if I undersized my stenner

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Pretty sure you can just go with the next size pump head tubing as a fix to your flow rate.
    20x40 in-ground Bella Blue Pebble Fina pool w/diving board, 1 HP Hayward Superpump, Raypak RP2100 335k BTU NG mV heater, Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, Pentair 261173 multi-port valve, Stenner 45MPHP10 pump w/15 gal tank, Intermatic ET1125CR dual electronic timer, 1.5" lines, two skimmers w/socks, Poolskim, vacuum line, ColorQ Pro 7 kit, TF-100 kit, speedstir, 2 froglogs, Dolphin Discovery Robot. Wine is the answer, what was the question?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by skimmerswimmer View Post
    Pretty sure you can just go with the next size pump head tubing as a fix to your flow rate.
    This is the tube inside the pump right? Not the black plastic tubing....

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the #2 tube will get you to 10 GPD.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Before you go to changing tubes, let's figure out what's going on, because with a 4 hour run time on a dial setting of 10 you should be putting 64oz of bleach in the pool so you should be able to detect a rise in FC.

As said above, check to make sure that you're drawing bleach out of the tank and if so then something is consuming the bleach as you're injecting it.
    Please list your current test results and which test kit you have?

pH
    FC
    CC
    CYA

That's the ones we need right now, but it'd probably be a good idea to post them all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll pull the numbers when I get home from work. Though,ig don't think I'm consuming more chlorine than would be normal because I have been manually dosing up until I got thr stenner installed and all,my numbers were good.

What's the best way to test and see of this pump is drawing correctly? I turned it on and disconnected thr input to my return pipe and I was getting a slow drip from the stenner tube. I'm thinking I'll first pull numbers on pool chemistry for you. Second I may disconnect stenner from pool return and have it flow into an empty bleach jug so I can precisely measure collection over 4 hours.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's probably not easy to measure the level change in the tank, so letting it flow into a container for an hour or four would be the best way to tell that it's pumping what it should.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Before you go to changing tubes, let's figure out what's going on, because with a 4 hour run time on a dial setting of 10 you should be putting 64oz of bleach in the pool so you should be able to detect a rise in FC.

As said above, check to make sure that you're drawing bleach out of the tank and if so then something is consuming the bleach as you're injecting it.
    Please list your current test results and which test kit you have?

pH
    FC
    CC
    CYA

That's the ones we need right now, but it'd probably be a good idea to post them all.
    Took readings tonight and setup for the stenner to feed into a bleach bottle. I'll report back on the collection numbers later tonight. Here are the pool numbers:

PH 7.8
    TA 90
    FC 2.6
    CC 0.6
    CYA 30

11. Back To Top    #11

I collected 52 oz in 3 hours and 15 min of running the stenner. So clearly that should be plenty. I dosed manually what was collected and will test FC in the morning. I'm now wondering if I have bad bleach or something. I have an above ground hot tub as well and looked at it tonight and it was super cloudy with no chlorine. Wife and I were in the tub last night and I added almost 4oz when we got out which is my standard use. With the pool and now the tub, I am definitely wondering about the bleach. Or they could be unrelated. Hmmm....

Any other thoughts?

12. Back To Top    #12

The 52oz that I added from collecting what was output by the stenner raised the FC to 8ppm last night when I checked. This morning the pool is at 7ppm.

So the bleach is fine and not the problem. I'll run the stenner into the pool return again tonight and see if it works this time. If not there is some sort of problem with how it feeds into the return. Any ideas? I am not hopeful that it will work tonight since it hasn't the last several times..

13. Back To Top    #13

Can you post a picture of your installation?
    19k gal, IG, Rectangle, Pebble, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge, Intelliflo VS Pump, IntellichlorSWG, Aquacal SQ-155 Heatpump, Aquaclean Aclean1 Robotic Cleaner, TF-100, Dec 2013, Jacksonville FL

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

check valve problem, installed backwards perhaps? Pictures would be good, I would take the check valve apart and inspect all the parts look for blockage, be sure the duckbill is not damaged or backwards, (not sure it can even be inserted backwards but just in case).
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    check valve problem, installed backwards perhaps? Pictures would be good, I would take the check valve apart and inspect all the parts look for blockage, be sure the duckbill is not damaged or backwards, (not sure it can even be inserted backwards but just in case).
    This helped. Figured out the pool guy fed into the return that feeds the wheeping wall and I have had the valve closed. He said he would fix it later this week. In the meantime I'll open the wheeping wall line so it clears out the bleach. Will there be a problem with the bleach that has just been sitting there in those lines?

16. Back To Top    #16

Make sure he uses a plastic plug when he does the fix, not a brass one.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Other than your FC jumping way up I don't think the bleach will cause a problem. I would wet the wall well with a hose before turning it on and so the bleach does not stain or bleach out the stone and be sure to run it till you are sure it is flushed well.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by gary300 View Post
    Make sure he uses a plastic plug when he does the fix, not a brass one.
    I have everything running now. Pre FC was 5. I have no idea how much bleach was in the lines....I'm thinking FC could be near 30 when said and done. Any problems that high FC could cause?

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Don't think high FC will be a problem, I have seen several threads where people with high CYA have to have levels above 30ppm for long periods to slam. When you get to far outside the level the CYA can bond to the remaining chlorine is unprotected and gets used up quickly. the levels should come down fairly quickly.

20. Back To Top    #20

As the phone tech said, that high FC won't be a problem as it'll come down quickly. Glad you got things figured out without much problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator