CYA levels

Nov 2, 2015
Mobile,AL
Just getting settled in to the new house. Had a couple questions. Is it better to leave it open during the winter or close it down? Or is it just preference? Also if my FC is maintaining, is there any reason to raise my CYA in the winter? Thanks

Recent test- pool water 68 degrees and clear

FC-4.2
CC-0
Salt - 3800
CH - 300
CYA- 55
TA - 70
PH - 7.2

If your temps are like mine (somewhat similar) it gets cold in the winter sure. Perhaps an occasional freeze warning once or twice, but nothing like up north. My pool stays open all year. I don't need to lower water levels, flush-out lines, or disconnect equipment. On those rare freeze mornings, I'll leave my pump running to keep water moving. Checking chemicals is a piece of cake since the cold water reduces the amount of FC usage. Easy stuff.

As for your CYA, with a SWG we'd typically say increase to save on FC production, but since it's starting to cool-off, you will not be using the SWG as much. You're probably fine for now until the spring approaches. Then go back up to 70 at least. Hope that helps. Have a nice evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.