Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA levels

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA levels

Just getting settled in to the new house. Had a couple questions. Is it better to leave it open during the winter or close it down? Or is it just preference? Also if my FC is maintaining, is there any reason to raise my CYA in the winter? Thanks

Recent test- pool water 68 degrees and clear

FC-4.2
    CC-0
    Salt - 3800
    CH - 300
    CYA- 55
    TA - 70
    PH - 7.2
    14000 gallon SWG gunite/quartz plaster,450 swimclear cartridge filters, 2hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA levels

If your temps are like mine (somewhat similar) it gets cold in the winter sure. Perhaps an occasional freeze warning once or twice, but nothing like up north. My pool stays open all year. I don't need to lower water levels, flush-out lines, or disconnect equipment. On those rare freeze mornings, I'll leave my pump running to keep water moving. Checking chemicals is a piece of cake since the cold water reduces the amount of FC usage. Easy stuff.

As for your CYA, with a SWG we'd typically say increase to save on FC production, but since it's starting to cool-off, you will not be using the SWG as much. You're probably fine for now until the spring approaches. Then go back up to 70 at least. Hope that helps. Have a nice evening.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!