Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner

Hi all,

I have a pool and I just started learning about the BBB method. I am waiting for my Taylor K2006 tester in the mail. In the meantime, I am using Leslie pool strips which may not be as accurate but give me something to work off at least. I had a green pool last month, but started the SLAM process, but with shock packets from Home Depot. For the past 2 weeks, the pool has been cloudy (but not green). I added 242 oz of 8.5% chlorine since I haven't added since last week. Just wanted to know if I'm doing this right or if you would do something differently.

Pool specs:
    ~12500 gallons
    Non-SWG

Most current Leslie pool strips after adding chlorine today:
    FC: 10
    FA: 200
    pH: 7.8
    CYA: 40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner

If your CYA is anywhere near right using those test strips (most likely not).........Your SLAM level for 40 is a minimum of 16 and MUST be maintained until you pass all 3 criteria of the SLAM procedure. You may have scared it a little but you certainly have'nt KILLED it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. Without your K-2006, it's all a guess right now. You'll see what we mean when the kit comes in and you take your first set of tests. Regardless, you're trying and that's a good start. By the way, welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

You ARE on the right track in that you have ordered a good test kit.

If you want to do something to hold your water in place (not get worse) you can add a jug of bleach a day while running your pump 24/7 and brushing the pool at least once a day.

While you are waiting for your test kit you start reading this link....

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I would also encourage you to read this link.........

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It will help you know the whys and how of TFP so that when you get your water looking like a jewel you will know how to keep it that way!

Let us know when your test kit gets there!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The Taylor K2006 just came in!

The pool i still cloudy to half of the depth of the pool. I just tested the pool for the following:

FC: 3
    CC: 0.6
    pH: 8.0
    CYA: 0

I just added another 121 oz of 8.5% clorox chlorine. I won't be able work on the pool until next weekend. But I'm thinking of adding CYA to increase CYA to 30-40 so that the chlorine doesn't get destroyed by the sun too quickly.

6. Back To Top    #6

You should first lower your PH to mid 7 range. It's possible it could be higher than 8.0. Use muriatic acid, let circulate for half an hour or so then retest PH level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!