Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cover pump not removing water from cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cover pump not removing water from cover

Hello All!

This is my 2nd pool closing and I am not happy with the pump not removing all water from the pool cover. I have a little giant pump (attached is a picture), which it suppose to activate at 2 inch of water, but it looks like is activating above 2 inches of water. I would like to know if there is any way to adjust the water sensor/float. Attached is a picture of my pump and the water accumulated. Is not a lot, but enough to freeze into ice, which will add weight to my cover and preventing the pump from working when the water freezes. Any suggestions?
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cover pump not removing water from cover

I have the same pump. It's hard for me to tell for sure but that actually looks like less than 2" in your picture. From a weight concern, I don't think it will cause a problem because when it freezes ice is the same weight as liquid water, although I believe ever so slightly less dense.

Never-the-less, I did have a similar issue where after a year of use, my pump wouldn't start up until the level was quite deep (about where the label is). I opened it up and discovered the float had water in it, causing it to be less buoyant, and not trigger the switch at lower water levels. The reason the float had water in it was I left it outside during periods of freeze. Turns out that pump isn't supposed to be used in freezing conditions and the thin plastic float cracked, allowing water to get inside. I was able to fix the float (they do sell replacements also) and the pump worked fine again, triggering at low water levels.

The float isn't adjustable but I'm sure if there's a will, there's a way.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the same pump too. I put a ping pong ball between the float and the cover to get it to trigger earlier. You need to smash the ping pong ball down but it still gives you enough buoyancy to push the float up in shallower water.

53K Gallon Plaster in-ground with ALL Hayward equipment including Omnilogic Automation, Phantom Turbo Cleaner, SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Heater, Dual T-15 Salt cells. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speedstir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Very clever....I will try it. How they you attached the ping pong ball?

Quote Originally Posted by zamazing View Post
    I have the same pump too. I put a ping pong ball between the float and the cover to get it to trigger earlier. You need to smash the ping pong ball down but it still gives you enough buoyancy to push the float up in shallower water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin View Post
    I have the same pump. It's hard for me to tell for sure but that actually looks like less than 2" in your picture. From a weight concern, I don't think it will cause a problem because when it freezes ice is the same weight as liquid water, although I believe ever so slightly less dense.

Never-the-less, I did have a similar issue where after a year of use, my pump wouldn't start up until the level was quite deep (about where the label is). I opened it up and discovered the float had water in it, causing it to be less buoyant, and not trigger the switch at lower water levels. The reason the float had water in it was I left it outside during periods of freeze. Turns out that pump isn't supposed to be used in freezing conditions and the thin plastic float cracked, allowing water to get inside. I was able to fix the float (they do sell replacements also) and the pump worked fine again, triggering at low water levels.

The float isn't adjustable but I'm sure if there's a will, there's a way.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have the end of the garden hose lower than the bottom of the pump, then the water will continue to drain after the pump shuts off due to the siphon effect.