Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help Cooling Pool? Houston Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help Cooling Pool? Houston Texas

Guys-

Im putting in a 40,000 sq ft infinity pool, my bill of materials is just a heater 400,000BTU Im seriously worried about no cooler? The pool company is telling me 4k to add a cooler cause it needs a pump? The said combos heater/coolers don't work well. Is this true?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need Help Cooling Pool? Houston Texas

Our PB had a heater/chiller listed on our bid as 1 line item. No additional pump was listed...
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

3. Back To Top    #3

40k surface area??? That is one giant pool!!! Not sure a cooler would be necessary for a pool that large. I'm building a 20k gallon pool in Mesa, AZ and not doing a cooler. My previous house had a 17k gal pool and I never needed a cooler, water never got above 88 even at the peak of summer.

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can check with Aquacal it can be purchased as Heater/Chiller. My PB said we wouldn't need it. But we are going to add one. But it's another model. We told PB that we don't want bath water on a 98 degree day in Florida. There was a new pool owner on the site here in Florida and he said he wished he added one. Hope that helps but you can also google pool heater/chiller and many options out there.
    Roman Style IG 14X28, Gunite Pool and Screen Cage
    11600 gallons, 3.5 ft - 6.0 ft SWG TF100 Kit:)
    Spa with spill over, tanning ledge, swim bench
    Finish TBD, along with equipment and paver's
    Water trucked in were on well system in Florida:)

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah this 46,000 since 35 feet actually more of it is infinity edge I'm hearing from a few people I don't need it.

I have a 400,000BTU heater but not the combo I'm told the combo won't work?

6. Back To Top    #6

Consider a Glacier Chiller.
    IG 16 x 50 Gunite. 3.5' - 9' depth 37,400 gallons 146LF perimeter and 863 square feet, 3 skimmers, 3 Pentair LED lights, 2 main drains, 6 pool returns, 1 vacuum line, 1 Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, 7x7 Spa attached with 1 Pentair LED Light raised 15 inches and 6 HydroAir Jets, 2 HP blower, Pentair DE60 Filter, Pentair Intellitouch I-7 w/Wireless remote, Pentair SWG 400k BTU Heater, Glacier Chiller. My 2015-2016 build thread.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Most all pools can be kept reasonably cool through aeration alone. You can google that subject on the forum and see several examples. Most of the aerators are DIY projects and virtually cost-free.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School