Pump Size?

cwmoody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
Mississippi
I am looking for help in choosing a replacement pump. My old pump is a Hayward 1HP pump (single speed). It has an AO Smith motor Model C48L2N134D2, Serial Number 30508FM, RMP 3450, Amp 18 6/9.3. My pool is 45,000 gallons with an average of 37 1/2 feet of head. My filter is a Hayward 300 pound sand filter Model S244T with a filtration rate of 20 GPM. According to turnover rates, it seems that my filter is under sized. However, I have always ran my pump 24/7 and it has worked well in the past. Sometimes it takes a little longer to clear up dirty water than what I would like, but that is probably just me being impatient. So my questions are: Should I just replace my pump with a two speed 1 HP pump? What other specs should I look at? If I switch to a two-speed pump, do I need to go up in size? Can I even go up in size with my filter? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have been looking at the wrong numbers on the filter. The filtration rate is 20 GPM, but the filtration and backwash design flowrate is listed as 62 GPM.

If the pump (wet end) is in good condition, I would just replace the motor with a two speed. No plumbing changes required and usually cheaper than replacing the entire pump.

But what is the pump model#?

Ok then the MaxFlo SP2307X102 would be a good choice. BTW, how did you get to 37.5 feet of head? Did you measure that?

Head loss in pipe is proportional to pipe length but it is not equal to it. It is a far more complicated calculation than that and it also depends on the types of fittings, valves, filters, heaters, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.